Combusting Natural gas calculate Q

In summary, the standard heat of combustion for a natural gas fuel is 85 kJ mol-1 at 25°C with H2O as the product. The fuel is supplied to a furnace with 50% excess air. If combustion is complete and no side reactions occur, the fuel transfers 3.5 kJ mol-1 of heat in the furnace.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A natural-gas fuel contains 85 mol-% methane, 10 mol-% ethane, and 5 mol-% nitrogen.
a) What is the standard heat of combustion (kJ mol-1) of the fuel at 25°C with H2O(g) as a
product?
b) The fuel is supplied to a furnace with 50% excess air, both entering at 25°C. The products
leave at 600°C. If combustion is complete and if no side reactions occur, how much heat
(kJ mol-1 of fuel) is transferred in the furnace?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem, I am unsure if in general, the exiting temperature is the reaction temperature. I mean, initially the gases are at 25 C, but when they exit they are 600C. That doesn't mean it reacted at 600 C, the result of the reaction just happened to be that temperature increase, right?

Attachments

• 2.4a attempt 1.pdf
    179.2 KB · Views: 528
  • 2.4b attempt 1.pdf
    234.9 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:

Homework Statement

A natural-gas fuel contains 85 mol-% methane, 10 mol-% ethane, and 5 mol-% nitrogen.
a) What is the standard heat of combustion (kJ mol-1) of the fuel at 25°C with H2O(g) as a
product?
b) The fuel is supplied to a furnace with 50% excess air, both entering at 25°C. The products
leave at 600°C. If combustion is complete and if no side reactions occur, how much heat
(kJ mol-1 of fuel) is transferred in the furnace?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem, I am unsure if in general, the exiting temperature is the reaction temperature. I mean, initially the gases are at 25 C, but when they exit they are 600C. That doesn't mean it reacted at 600 C, the result of the reaction just happened to be that temperature increase, right?

Yes. You have the right idea. I didn't check every last detail of what you did, but you certainly knew to use Hess's Law. The heat given off by the reaction at 25C minus the heat loss from the reactor is enough to raise the temperature of the products from 25C to 600C.

chet

Does nitrogen combust with oxygen?

Also, is my part (a) correct? A friend of mine is trying it my doing .85ΔHf,methane + .10ΔHf,ethane + .05ΔHf,N2 - ΔHf, CO2 - ΔHf,H2O(g)

Last edited:
Maylis said:
Does nitrogen combust with oxygen?

Also, is my part (a) correct? A friend of mine is trying it my doing .85ΔHf,methane + .10ΔHf,ethane + .05ΔHf,N2 - ΔHf, CO2 - ΔHf,H2O(g)
The N2 does not react.

I don't follow what your friend did, but in part (a) you should have taken 0.85 times the heat of reaction 1 plus 0.10 times the heat of reaction 2. There is no change in the enthalpy of the N2 at 25C.

In part (b), I really like the way you did it. That's what I would have done.

Chet

Yes, I did that. Once you get the answer to the heat of combustion to part (a), you just add up the sensible heat changes. However, I actually changed my basis from 1 mol in part (a) to 100 moles in part (b), so I went back, changed the basis to 1 mol, and multiplied all the values I got for the sensible heats of the species by the number of moles coming out of the reactor.

It gives the right answer, but I was a little shaky why I had to do that. It seems like it has to do with the wording based on the fact that its per mole of fuel.

Maylis said:
Yes, I did that. Once you get the answer to the heat of combustion to part (a), you just add up the sensible heat changes. However, I actually changed my basis from 1 mol in part (a) to 100 moles in part (b), so I went back, changed the basis to 1 mol, and multiplied all the values I got for the sensible heats of the species by the number of moles coming out of the reactor.

It gives the right answer, but I was a little shaky why I had to do that. It seems like it has to do with the wording based on the fact that its per mole of fuel.
Yes. That's correct.

Chet

Related to Combusting Natural gas calculate Q

What is natural gas?

Natural gas is a fossil fuel that is primarily composed of methane. It is commonly used as a source of energy for heating, cooking, and powering appliances.

How is natural gas combusted?

Natural gas is combusted by mixing it with air and then igniting it in a controlled environment. This releases energy in the form of heat, which can then be used for various purposes.

What is the formula for calculating Q when combusting natural gas?

The formula for calculating Q when combusting natural gas is Q = m x ∆Hc, where m is the mass of the natural gas and ∆Hc is the heat of combustion per unit mass of gas.

What units are typically used for Q when calculating the combustion of natural gas?

The units commonly used for Q when calculating the combustion of natural gas are joules (J) or British thermal units (BTUs).

What are some factors that can affect Q when combusting natural gas?

Some factors that can affect Q when combusting natural gas include the composition and quality of the natural gas, the temperature and pressure of the combustion environment, and the efficiency of the combustion process.