Required frictional force for a car to keep it from sliding off a curve.

In summary, the question asks for the frictional force that must be applied by the road on a 1200 kg car if the driver exceeds the designed speed of the curve by 14 km/hr. The given information does not include the radius of the curve, making it difficult to solve. However, the solution can be found by using the previous problems' values for velocity, radius, and angle, and finding the difference between the original and increased force.
galuda

Homework Statement

With what frictional force must the road push on a 1200 kg car if the driver exceeds the speed for which the curve was designed by deltav = 14km/hr?

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually have no clue where to begin with this question. Don't I need the radius to figure this out? On the previous problem i was asked to find the bank angle of a curve given radius and velocity and I used tan-1 [v^2/(gr)]. I don't believe that equation is relavent here though. Any advice as to what equations I should be using?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no radius given?

Is that exactly how the question is written? It seems kinda confusing

Yup, that's all it says, other than answer in units of N at the end. Doesn't even say if it's a flat curve or banked.

Now the question doesn't say to refer to the previous problem, but if it does it was If r = 51 m and v = 52 km/hr, what is theta? and i found that to be 22.646 degrees. Can we do anything with that information?

AHAH! Well I decided to use the degree, radius and velocity from the previous 2 problems, found my force of the original speed that required no friction, added 14km/hr to it and found that force, then subtracted one from the other and that answer was correct. Would have been a whole lot simpler if they had just said "refer to the previous 2 problems to solve this one". Thanks anyways!

Related to Required frictional force for a car to keep it from sliding off a curve.

1. What is the definition of frictional force?

Frictional force is the force that opposes the motion or potential motion of an object. It is caused by the contact between two surfaces.

2. How does frictional force affect a car's ability to stay on a curve?

Frictional force is necessary for a car to maintain traction and stay on a curve. Without enough friction, the car would slide off the curve due to the centrifugal force acting on it.

3. What factors affect the required frictional force for a car on a curve?

The required frictional force depends on the weight of the car, the speed it is traveling at, the angle of the curve, and the type and condition of the tires.

4. How can the required frictional force be calculated for a specific curve?

The required frictional force can be calculated using the formula Ff = μ * Fn, where Ff is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road, and Fn is the normal force exerted on the tires.

5. How can the required frictional force be increased to prevent a car from sliding off a curve?

The required frictional force can be increased by adjusting the weight distribution of the car, increasing the angle of the curve, slowing down the speed of the car, and using tires with a higher coefficient of friction.