Frictional force for bank curves

In summary, the conversation is about finding the force of friction needed for a 1453kg car to round a curve with a 122m radius at a speed of 48 km/h without skidding. The conversation touches on the equations needed to solve the problem, including the formula for frictional force and the components of the normal reaction and frictional force in the case of banking. The person asking for help has not shown their attempts at solving the problem and the responders are encouraging them to try and solve it themselves rather than just providing the answer.
theofficialack

Homework Statement

A 1453kg car rounds a curve of 122-m radius at a speed of 48 km/h. How large must the force of friction between tires and pavement to prevent the car from skidding?

Homework Equations

F=(coeficient)mg
Net force=Ff+Fcen*cos (-) +mgsin(-)
tan(-)=(v)^2 / gr

The Attempt at a Solution

All solutions failed!

Please help me because i need to pass it tomorrow

Physics news on Phys.org
theofficialack said:

Homework Statement

A 1453kg car rounds a curve of 122-m radius at a speed of 48 km/h. How large must the force of friction between tires and pavement to prevent the car from skidding?

Homework Equations

F=(coeficient)mg
Net force=Ff+Fcen*cos (-) +mgsin(-)
tan(-)=(v)^2 / gr

The Attempt at a Solution

All solutions failed!

Please help me because i need to pass it tomorrow
The problem statement doesn't mention banking, in which case the solution would be pretty straight forward. Are you sure banking is to be considered?

What would be the best solution then?

theofficialack said:
What would be the best solution then?

If there is no banking, then the centrifugal force will be balanced by friction. You can get the velocity by equating the centrifugal and frictional forces.

My teacher said there is banking

theofficialack said:

Did he?

When I was in undergrad I was taking a class in group theory. And everybody in the class was having a very tough time doing one of the homework assignments. We were all struggling to follow what our notes from class said. We were pestering each other for hints and all going crazy.

Except for this one guy. He was sitting in the study hall drinking coffee and looking out the window. What's your story? Why are you not worried. Oh, I got a textbook on group theory out of the library and did the homework. But the prof said to do it this way! Oh, he said. I never pay too much attention to what the prof says.

That guy now has a senior position at a prestigious research institution.

theofficialack said:

Alright. So if there is banking, the frictional force will be inclined. It will have two components, a vertically downward one and a horizontal one.

Similar is the case with the normal reaction from the ground. It will have an inclination as the road has banking. It can be resolved into a vertically upward and a horizontal component.

Are you able to follow me till here theofficialack?

All solutions failed!
Does not count as an attempt at solution. How do you know anyway? -- what have you tried so far ? What do you mean with (-) ?

Good luck tomorrow :). Or do you have to hand in this particular exercise :( ?

Well the velocity is stated.. What does it mean when it says force of friction?
siddharth23 said:
If there is no banking, then the centrifugal force will be balanced by friction. You can get the velocity by equating the centrifugal and frictional forces.

Precisely what it says: How many Newtons does the force of friction have to be in order that this 1453 kg car can follow a circular trajectory with radius 122 m while having a speed of 48 km/h ?

And what siddharth says, I would formulate differently: If ... then the centripetal force will have to be provided by friction.

You sneakily avoided showing any of your attempts at solution. Let's have a deal:
Answer the questions in post #8: How do you know anyway? -- what have you tried so far ? What do you mean with (-) ?

And just to be clear: " i need to pass it tomorrow "now means: "I have to hand in my answer for this exercise today" ?

There's something ingrained in PF culture that we all want to help like crazy, but we try to stear clear of doing your exercises for you.
Simple reason: If I let you run to train for my marathon, it doesn't help me at all to make it to the finish.

Related to Frictional force for bank curves

1. What is frictional force for bank curves?

Frictional force for bank curves is the force that acts in the opposite direction of motion when a car or other vehicle is turning on a banked curve. It is caused by the interaction between the tires and the road surface.

2. How does frictional force affect a vehicle on a banked curve?

Frictional force helps to keep a vehicle from sliding off the road when turning on a banked curve. It also helps to maintain control and stability of the vehicle.

3. What factors affect the strength of frictional force on a banked curve?

The strength of frictional force on a banked curve is affected by the angle of the bank, the speed of the vehicle, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface.

4. How is frictional force for bank curves calculated?

The formula for calculating frictional force on a banked curve is F = m * (v^2/r) * tan(θ), where F is the frictional force, m is the mass of the vehicle, v is the velocity, r is the radius of the curve, and θ is the angle of the bank.

5. Can frictional force be reduced on banked curves?

Yes, frictional force can be reduced on banked curves by decreasing the speed of the vehicle or increasing the angle of the bank. It is important to find the right balance between these factors to ensure safe and efficient turning on banked curves.