Request: Looking for good Maths book

In summary, the person is looking for a good math book that focuses on physics and is suitable for their current level, which includes topics such as differentiation, integration, matrices, complex numbers, and curve sketching. They also mention potentially learning about Markov Chains, Differential Geometry, and Multi-Variable Calculus in the future. They want to expand their math knowledge before starting a physics degree at university and ask for recommendations.
AytacK
Hi,

I'm looking for a good maths book that emphasises on Physics.

I'm doing A Level Maths and Further Maths with other A Levels (17 years old in England, UK). So I've met Differentiation (quotient, chain rule, trig differentiation, implicit...), Integration (by parts, substitution, partial), Partial fractions, Parametric Equations. We've gone through first order differential equations too.

Also been through Matrices, Complex Numbers, Curve Sketching (Had enough if this!), Polar Coordinates, Hyperbolic Functions in Further Maths. Moreover, other basic maths.

We may go through Markov Chains, Differential Geometry and Multi-Variable Calulus this year, depending on what I pick for my subject modules.

I want to expand on my Maths knowledge this year before beginning University (Physics Degree).

Any good books for my level of knowledge? There's just so many on Amazon.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Request: Looking for good Maths book

1. What are the best math books for beginners?

Some popular math books for beginners include "A Mind for Numbers" by Barbara Oakley, "Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction" by Timothy Gowers, and "How to Solve It" by George Pólya.

2. Are there any math books specifically for children?

Yes, there are many math books designed for children. Some popular options include "The Number Devil" by Hans Magnus Enzensberger, "Bedtime Math" by Laura Overdeck, and "Math Curse" by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith.

3. What are some advanced math books for experienced mathematicians?

For experienced mathematicians, some highly recommended books include "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics" edited by Timothy Gowers, "The Art of Computer Programming" by Donald Knuth, and "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas Hofstadter.

4. Are there any online resources for learning math?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning math, such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and Brilliant. These websites offer interactive lessons, practice problems, and quizzes for various levels of math.

5. What are some math books that focus on specific topics within math?

There are many math books that focus on specific topics, such as "The Music of the Primes" by Marcus du Sautoy for number theory, "The Joy of x" by Steven Strogatz for calculus, and "Fermat's Enigma" by Simon Singh for the history of mathematics.