Request for help - math problem using binary code

In summary, the coffee club has an eight person membership, and it is possible for each member to be inside the coffee club at least once, outside the coffee club at least once, and be at the same table at least once with one of the other seven members. However, it is apparently impossible for each member to be inside the coffee club twice, outside the coffee club twice, and be at the same table twice.
fizz
Hello

I have math question that I am struggling with that apparently can be solved using code (or reasoning - I tried that and mine didn't work. GO figure :confused: ). Can anyone help me out?

Here is the question:

A coffee club with 8 membres meet every MOnday Wednesday and Friday. At eahc meeting, 4 people sit inside at a table and 4 people sit outside. IS it possible in the course of a week, for each member to be inside at least once, outside at least once, and be at teh same table at least once with wach of the other 7 members?

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice question :) But ithink it is impossible because:
Let's name this eight people from 1 to 8

IN OUT
First day: 1234 5678 - A Standard Beginning(Changing places won't make a difference as numbers can be changed too...)

Second D: Assume that we need to make only 2 people(In my sol. they are 1 and 5) meet each people and go both inside and outside, we would just replace them to meet most people and this would be 5234(I)-1678(O)

Third D.: Now we must make 1 and 5 meet each other and let's put them like this
1537 - 2468(There are two contradictions 1st: Its asymmetric, it can't be a solution, there is no sense in putting 1 and 5 to inside not outside(symmetry in solutions for problems like this is VERY Important) and 2nd: 2-7, 4-7, 3-6, 3-8 haven't met)

Another solution trial:(two-to-two meeting system-doesnt works again)
(By this System, we make two people groups like 12, 34... and have only 4 elements)
1st Day:1234(I)-5678(O)
2nd Day:1256(I)-3478(O) (Now we have just 12-78 and 34-56 left)
3rd Day: 3456(I)-1278(O) (All people met; however 7 and 8 has never gone inside)
(The weird thing here is there is no symmetry(Why 7 and 8) and this makes me think I am doing a mistake somewhere...)
(Any explanations to this would be great-just mail me if you have any comments)

I tried exactly what you tried, and to no avail. (switching two people at a time and moving one person at a time) I feel like it may be impossible, but by the way my prof was talking in class, it sounded like there was a solution! Hmmm...
He did mention using binary code and pigeon hole principle but I am at a loss as to how to use those (both pretty knew concepts for me, so don't fully understand how to apply to problem!)
Thank you for you help!

Related to Request for help - math problem using binary code

1. What is a "Request for help - math problem using binary code"?

A "Request for help - math problem using binary code" is a specific type of problem where the given numbers and operations are represented in binary code. Binary code is a base-2 numbering system that uses only 0s and 1s to represent numbers, similar to how our decimal system uses 0-9. This type of problem requires knowledge of binary conversions and operations to solve.

2. How do I convert numbers from binary to decimal?

To convert a number from binary to decimal, you can use the place value method. Each digit in a binary number represents a power of 2, starting from the rightmost digit. For example, the binary number 1011 can be converted to decimal by taking (1 x 2^3) + (0 x 2^2) + (1 x 2^1) + (1 x 2^0) = 11. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or online converter to quickly convert binary numbers to decimal.

3. How do I perform addition and subtraction using binary code?

To add or subtract using binary code, you can use the same methods as you would for decimal numbers. First, convert the numbers to binary if they are not already. Then, line up the numbers and perform the operation digit by digit, carrying over any 1s as needed. For example, to add 1011 and 1100, you would get 1011 + 1100 = 11011 (adding 1 and 1 from the rightmost digits). Finally, convert the result back to decimal if needed.

4. How do I multiply and divide using binary code?

To multiply using binary code, you can use the same methods as you would for decimal numbers. Convert the numbers to binary, line them up, and perform the multiplication digit by digit. For division, you can use the long division method, but instead of dividing by 10, you will be dividing by 2. Keep dividing until you reach a remainder of 0, and the final quotient will be your answer in binary.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving math problems using binary code?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can make solving math problems using binary code easier. One example is using the bitwise operations of AND, OR, and XOR to quickly perform addition and subtraction. For multiplication, you can use the shortcut of shifting the numbers to the left or right depending on the power of 2 you are multiplying by. However, these shortcuts require a good understanding of binary operations and may not work for all types of problems.