Reproduction of the phenomenon with sand

In summary: Sand is decompacted and homogenized, and the height of the bed is increased to achieve a "fluid-like" state. The air is turned off slowly before the experiments, and the grains are left to settle.
Innoko
Hello, guys, I am new here. I'm wondering, what kind of sand should I use to reproduce this phenomenon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7LpmE9hl-c&feature=related
I've tried several kinds of sand, but the phenomenon hasn't observed.
What density should sand has? What is the fraction (diametr) of sand?
Thank you.
PS: I don't asking about origins of this effect. Just want to reproduce it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want the sand to behave as much like an ideal fluid as possible. Therefore, I would imagine you want the density of the sand to be as low as possible. You would also want the grains to be as small, and as uniform, as possible. You could accomplish both of these by running the sand through a ball mill.

You also want the ball/projectile to be as dense as possible. Copper and iron are good choices.

Thx for reply.
I've tried quartz sand with diameter of grains 0,1 mm, but it behaves more like a flour, such as 0,2 mm. With grains sized 0,63 mm the phenomenon isn't observed, too. With further increasing the phenomenon isn't observed. I decided to swap my attempts with quartz sand to attempts with a river sand. It was rather wet, so I've dried it with an oven. Then I filtered it to size ~3/4 mm (as it looks). It feels more soft then quartz and the ball goes in it (not deep), but the phenomenon doesn't observes. Ideas?

Have you tried to google authors? With names and university given in the video it shouldn't be difficult.

Have you tried different ball sizes? Different drop heights? Could be it is a matter of correct selection of several parameters that play together. Something like having Reynolds number in the correct range (no, I am not saying it is about Reynolds number, that's just a lame analogy).

Take a look at this article:

http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0406368"

Details about the sand and steel ball are given in the first paragraph. Sand grains are around 40micrometers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank u.
"Therefore, in order to prepare a welldefined
initial state, we decompactify and homogenize
extremely fine sand (average grain-size of about 40μm;
grains are non-spherical) by blowing air through it via
a perforated bottom plate. The height of the sand bed
above the bottom plate is typically 25-40cm. The air is
slowly turned off before the experiments and the grains
are left to settle in an extremely loose packing with the
force-chains either broken or substantially weakened. We
call this a “fluid-like” state" - for those, who interested in it, too.

I'll tell u, if my experiments will go on well.

Related to Reproduction of the phenomenon with sand

1. How does sand form?

Sand is formed from the erosion of rocks, which are broken down into tiny particles by wind, water, and other natural processes. These particles then accumulate in large quantities to create sand.

2. What causes sand dunes to form?

Sand dunes are formed when wind blows sand particles into large piles. The shape of the dune is dependent on the direction and strength of the wind, as well as the amount of available sand in the area.

3. Can sand dunes move?

Yes, sand dunes can move over time. Wind and water can cause the dune to shift in shape and location. Some dunes can even migrate up to several feet per year.

4. How long does it take for a sand dune to form?

The time it takes for a sand dune to form varies greatly depending on environmental factors. Some dunes may form in a matter of days, while others may take centuries to fully develop.

5. Is sand a finite resource?

While sand may seem like an abundant resource, it is not infinite. As human activities such as construction and land development continue to increase, the demand for sand also increases. This can lead to depletion of certain types of sand, causing environmental concerns and potential shortages in the future.