Calculate Flow Rate of Sand in Inclined System

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an hourglass or silo at a constant angle to discharge granular matter. The speaker mentions finding an equation called "Beverloo's law" which dictates the discharge rate as long as the particle diameter is small enough compared to the orifice. The speaker also mentions the importance of empirical coefficients for discharge and shape, as well as the density of the matter. They are still studying the effect of the bulb's inclination and ask for advice on how to use Latex. Another speaker mentions that the information about the sand particle's diameter is incorrect and suggests physical testing. They also add that the roughness and humidity of the sand can affect the results.
pterodox
Hi. First of all, I should mention that I'm quite a novice in both physics and engineering.

Let's consider an hourglass (or a silo) that is inclined at a constant angle. I'm unsure of how to calculate the necessary diameter of an orifice for a given mass or volume of granular matter to discharge in a given time, considering the angle at which the system is held.

Searching the internet, I've found a paper describing an equation referred to as "Beverloo's law", which dictates that as long as the particle diameter is small enough in relation to the orifice, (Wikipedia claims that for an ideal flow, the diameter of the average particle (dp) should be between 1/12 and 1/2 of the orifice's diameter - do ) the discharge rate is equal to
b√g(do-kdp)5/2
...where C and k are described as "empirical coefficients of discharge and shape", and ρb is the matter's density.

Thanks to online engineering tables, I've found that the density of sand for example tends to revolve around 1.3 or 1.4 g/cm3 but I'm uncertain about finding values for C and k, and how significant they are from a practical point of view.
I'm still studying the effect of the bulb's inclination.

Any ideas/advice to put me on a right track? Thank you for the time.

PS: How do I use Latex on this board?

Physics news on Phys.org
First the information about d of the sand particle being up to 1/2 of the orifice is not correct. You get bridges forming - like stonework bridges which I've noticed can be about 5 or 6 grains wide.

Second it really depends on the roughness of the sand, not all sand is the same and further more the humidity if there are hydroscopic salts within the sand will affect the results.

With tilting you get laminar flow so that the second layer tends to speed x, and the third layer tends to 2x approx - both moving at the same speed relative to the layer beneath them (excluding air resistance).

I would have thought physical testing would be the way to go here?

Related to Calculate Flow Rate of Sand in Inclined System

1. What is the formula for calculating the flow rate of sand in an inclined system?

The formula for calculating the flow rate of sand in an inclined system is Q = A * v * sinθ, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area, v is the velocity of the sand particles, and θ is the angle of inclination.

2. How is the cross-sectional area of the inclined system determined?

The cross-sectional area of the inclined system can be determined by multiplying the width and height of the system. It is important to make sure the units are consistent.

3. What factors affect the velocity of sand particles in an inclined system?

The velocity of sand particles in an inclined system can be affected by various factors such as the angle of inclination, the size and shape of the sand particles, the roughness of the surface, and the fluid properties of the medium (e.g. air or water).

4. How can the angle of inclination impact the flow rate of sand in an inclined system?

The angle of inclination can greatly impact the flow rate of sand in an inclined system. As the angle increases, the flow rate also increases due to the increased gravitational force pulling the sand particles down. However, if the angle becomes too steep, the sand particles may start to slide instead of rolling, which can decrease the flow rate.

5. Are there any limitations to using the flow rate formula for sand in an inclined system?

Yes, there are limitations to using the flow rate formula for sand in an inclined system. This formula assumes that the sand particles are all of the same size and shape, and that they are all flowing at the same velocity. In reality, there may be variations in particle size and shape, and the velocity may not be constant throughout the system. Additionally, other factors such as air resistance and friction may also affect the flow rate.