Representing map F in another basis

• Thread starter simpledude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis Map
In summary, representing the linear operator F as a matrix in the given basis results in a 3x3 matrix, and including F(1+x^3) is not necessary but does not affect the matrix.
simpledude
Homework Statement
Let V = P(3)(R) be the vector space of all polynomials P : R −> R with degree less than
3. We consider the mapping F : V −> V defined for all P belonging to V by F(P(x)) = P(−x) for all x 2 R.

I have to represent the linear operator F as a matrix in the basis {1 + x, 2x, x2, 1 + x3}

The attempt at a solution

I think I got this one right but would like your professional input.
So I apply F to the 4 vectors.

F(1+x) = 1-x
F(2x) = -2x
F(x^2) = x^2
F(1+x^3) = x^3

This gives a matrix of

1 0 0 1
-1 -2 0 0
0 0 1 0
0 0 0 -1What I am confused about, is the fact that it says only polynomials of degree less
than 3, so does that mean I do not consider F(1+x^3) ? i.e. I would only have a 3 x 3 matrix (no last column and last row)?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach to representing the linear operator F as a matrix is correct. However, you are correct in questioning whether or not to include F(1+x^3) in the matrix. Since the vector space V is defined as polynomials with degree less than 3, it would be more accurate to only include the first three vectors in the matrix. This would give a 3x3 matrix as you mentioned. Including F(1+x^3) would not change the result of the matrix, but it would be more consistent with the definition of V to only include polynomials of degree less than 3.

Related to Representing map F in another basis

1. What does it mean to represent a map F in another basis?

Representing a map F in another basis means finding a new set of coordinate axes to describe the same linear transformation. This allows us to view the transformation from a different perspective and can make calculations and interpretations easier.

2. Why would we want to represent a map F in another basis?

There are several reasons why we may want to represent a map F in another basis. One reason is to simplify calculations or make them more efficient. Another reason is to gain a better understanding of the transformation by looking at it from a different angle. Additionally, representing a map F in another basis can be useful in applications such as image processing or data analysis.

3. How do we represent a map F in another basis?

To represent a map F in another basis, we first need to find a new set of basis vectors that span the same vector space as the original basis. Then, we use a change of basis matrix to transform the coordinates of the original basis vectors into the new basis. This will give us a new representation of the map F in terms of the new basis vectors.

4. What is the relationship between the original basis and the new basis when representing a map F in another basis?

The original basis and the new basis are related by a change of basis matrix. This matrix converts the coordinates of vectors in the original basis into coordinates in the new basis. The columns of the change of basis matrix are the coordinates of the original basis vectors in the new basis.

5. Can any map F be represented in another basis?

Yes, any map F can be represented in another basis. However, the new basis must span the same vector space as the original basis for the representation to be valid. Additionally, the change of basis matrix must be invertible for the transformation to be reversible.