Representation of complex of square root of negative i with unitary power.

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression of ##sqrt(-i)## as a complex number, and the meaning of "with unitary power." It is explained that the complex square root has two solutions which can be expressed as z=x+iy, and that the modulus of the solution must be 1. The use of complex numbers allows for calculations similar to those with real numbers and simplifies tasks like rotations. The conversation also mentions the potential confusion between using 0.707+0.707i and writing it as 0.707,0.707i. Finally, the conversation suggests further reading and exploration of complex numbers to gain a better understanding.
Leo Authersh
Can ##sqrt(-i)## be expressed as a complex number z = x + iy with unitary power?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "with unitary power" mean?
The complex square root has two solutions, both of them are complex numbers, they can be expressed as z=x+iy like every complex number.

If any unit real number when rooted, powered, multiplied and divided gives a complex unit, then how can an unit imaginary number when rooted equates to a fractional complex number?

For example, ##sqrt(i)## equates to a non unit value i.e. 0.707+0.707i (approx)

Well, your number is ##\exp(\mathrm{i} \pi/4)=(1+\mathrm{i})/\sqrt{2}## and thus its modulus is 1 as it must be.

Likes Leo Authersh
@vanhees71 Thank you, now I understood that 0.707+0.707i represents the x,y coordinate in the complex plan and not a value.

But shall we simply write as 0.707,0.707i so that it might not be misinterpreted as arithmetically additive?

Last edited by a moderator:
The point of complex numbers is that you can calculate with them as with real numbers, because they obey all the axioms of a field concerning the fundamental arithmethics of + and ##\times##.

At the same time of course you can interpret real and imaginary part of a complex number as Cartesian coordinates in an Euclidean plane (Gauss's plane of numbers). This has great advantages, because it simplifies standard tasks like, e.g., rotations. The rotation of a vector ##\vec{x}=(x,y)## can be very easily calculated by writing ##z=x+\mathrm{i} y## and then the rotated vector is given by
$$z'=\exp(\mathrm{i} \phi) z,$$
where ##\phi \in \mathbb{R}## is the rotation angle (in radians) which you can easily check by using
$$\exp(\mathrm{i} \phi)=\cos \phi+\mathrm{i} \sin \phi$$
and multiplying out the product, splitting it again in real and imaginary part.

After from my previous two questions, I have gained some more understanding of the complex numbers and now I can see this question arises out of my misinterpretation of complex number. Thank you.

Related to Representation of complex of square root of negative i with unitary power.

What is the complex representation of the square root of negative i with unitary power?

The complex representation of the square root of negative i with unitary power is (1 + i) / sqrt(2).

What is the significance of representing the square root of negative i with unitary power?

Representing the square root of negative i with unitary power allows for easier calculation and manipulation of complex numbers, as it simplifies the expression to a single complex number.

How is the complex representation of the square root of negative i with unitary power derived?

The complex representation is derived by taking the square root of the complex number -i and raising it to the power of 1/2, resulting in the expression (-i)^(1/2) which simplifies to (1 + i) / sqrt(2).

Is the representation of the square root of negative i with unitary power unique?

Yes, the representation is unique as it follows the laws of complex numbers and there is only one value that satisfies the equation x^2 = -i.

How is the complex representation of the square root of negative i with unitary power used in practical applications?

The complex representation is used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and mathematics, to solve complex equations and model real-world phenomena. It is also essential in understanding and analyzing complex electrical circuits and signals.