Dimensional representation of Roots

In summary, each root of a complex number can be expressed as x + iy in Cartesian form, regardless of the root or the number of coordinate axes in the complex plane. This is because all complex numbers can be written in the form x + iy, regardless of the root or the number of coordinate axes in the complex plane.
Leo Authersh
If the square root as two coordinate axes in the complex plane, does the cubic root has 3 coordinate axes and so on for nth root?

@vanhees71 Can you please explain this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A complex number has real and imaginary part, which you can intepret as cartesian coordinates of vectors in a plane. I don't understand what you mean by "the square root has 2 coordinates".

Likes Leo Authersh
Leo Authersh said:
If the square root as two coordinate axes in the complex plane, does the cubic root has 3 coordinate axes and so on for nth root?

@vanhees71 Can you please explain this?
No. One complex number is simply one complex number. The fact that complex numbers can be written as ##x+iy## with real ##x,y## is due to the fact, that ##\mathbb{C}## is a two-dimensional real vector space and ##\{1,i\}## a basis.
All complex numbers can be written in this way, no matter how often or which root you take.

Likes Leo Authersh
Leo Authersh said:
You are extrapolating with a sample size that is too small. A given complex number has two square roots, three cube roots, four fourth roots, and so on. Each of these roots can be expressed in the form x + iy in Cartesian form (also called rectangular form).

For example, the complex number -1 + 0i has these cube roots: ##\frac{\sqrt 3} 2 + \frac 1 2 i, -1 + 0i##, and ## \frac{\sqrt 3}2 - i\frac 1 2##. In polar form, these are ##e^{i\pi/3}, e^{i\pi}##, and ##e^{i 5\pi/3}##.

Likes Leo Authersh

Related to Dimensional representation of Roots

1. What is the dimensional representation of roots?

The dimensional representation of roots is a way of visually representing the solutions or roots of a mathematical equation on a two-dimensional plane. It involves plotting the points where the equation intersects the x-axis, which correspond to the values of the variables that satisfy the equation.

2. How is the dimensional representation of roots useful?

The dimensional representation of roots is useful as it provides a graphical understanding of the solutions to an equation. It can help in identifying patterns and relationships between the variables, and can also be used to check the accuracy of solutions obtained through algebraic methods.

3. What are the different types of roots that can be represented dimensionally?

The dimensional representation of roots can be used for both real and complex roots. Real roots are represented by points on the x-axis, while complex roots are represented by points on the imaginary axis. Complex roots always come in pairs, with one point being the complex conjugate of the other.

4. Can the dimensional representation of roots be used for all types of equations?

No, the dimensional representation of roots is mainly used for polynomial equations. It can also be used for some other types of equations, such as quadratic, exponential, and logarithmic equations, but may not be applicable for all types of equations.

5. How can the dimensional representation of roots be used to solve equations?

The dimensional representation of roots can be used to solve equations by visually identifying the points where the equation intersects the x-axis, which correspond to the solutions or roots of the equation. This can provide a quick and intuitive way to find solutions, especially for simple equations.