Representation by a diagonal matrix question

In summary, T can be represented by a diagonal matrix, and whenever possible, find a diagonal matrix and a basis of R3 such that T is represented by the diagonal matrix relative to the basis.
zeion

Homework Statement

Let T be the linear operator on R3 that has the given matrix A relative to the basis A = {(1,0,0), (1,1,0), (1,1,1)}. a) Determine whether T can be represented by a diagonal matrix, and b) whenever possible, find a diagonal matrix and a basis of R3 such that T is represented by the diagonal matrix relative to the basis.

A = [tex]
\begin{bmatrix}8&5&-5\\5&8&-5\\15&15&-12 \end{bmatrix}

[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) So first I find the eigenvalues I get {3, 3, -2}, then I check the eigenspace for each value and see that the dimension of the kernel corresponds to the multiplicity (3 has dimKer = 2, -2 has dimKer = 1), so then there is a matrix P such that A is diagonalized by P-1AP. So the answer is Yes.

b) I don't really understand what it is asking me to do.. Can't I just use the eigenvectors as a basis for R3? I don't understand what this basis is I'm supposed to find and how to get T "represented by the diagonal matrix relative to the basis"..
What do I do with the given basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't done this in a while, but I believe your first step is to find the change of basis matrix. This will then be your matrix P where you conjugate A as D=P-1AP

What basis am I going from and to?

The basis you are going from is the one given on the first line of your question, {(1,0,0), (1,1,0), (1,1,1)}. The basis you are going to is the basis for R3 of eigenvectors of the matrix.

zeion said:
b) I don't really understand what it is asking me to do.. Can't I just use the eigenvectors as a basis for R3?
Yes, that's exactly what you use. Part (a) didn't ask you to find a basis; it just asked you to determine if such a basis existed. Part (b) is asking you to find a basis that diagonalizes T.

Ok I'm kind of confused with these things:

I get a set of eigenvectors from A of T, I use them as a basis for T, and then I can use this set of eigenvectors written as the column of a matrix = P and when I do P-1AP A will be diagonalized with the eigenvalues in the main diagonal?

So then if I get P from A wrt the basis A, then P is wrt to basis A?
So is it asking me to change P from wrt to A to A wrt to the eigenvectors basis?

zeion said:
Ok I'm kind of confused with these things:
First, don't use the letter A to stand for two different things. It's confusing. Let's call A the matrix of T relative to basis U={(1,0,0), (1,1,0), (1,1,1)}.
I get a set of eigenvectors from A of T, I use them as a basis for T,
The eigenvectors aren't a basis for T; they're a basis for R3. The specific matrix representing T depends on what basis for R3 you're using.
and then I can use this set of eigenvectors written as the column of a matrix = P and when I do P-1AP A will be diagonalized with the eigenvalues in the main diagonal?
Yes.
So then if I get P from A wrt the basis A, then P is wrt to basis A?
Think of P as a matrix which converts coordinates from the eigenvector basis to coordinates in the U basis. If you have some vector that has coordinates (x, y, z) in the eigenvector basis, you can get its coordinates in the U basis by multiplying P by (x, y, z). For example, if you multiply P by (1, 0, 0), which is the representation of the first eigenvector in the eigenvector basis, you get the first column of P, which is the eigenvector represented in the U basis.
So is it asking me to change P from wrt to A to A wrt to the eigenvectors basis?
No. The problem is simply asking you to find a basis in which the matrix for T is diagonal. As you know, that's the basis that consists of the eigenvectors of T. The only question left is how do you write down what those eigenvectors are. You could write them relative to the basis U (which is what you found when you found the eigenvectors using matrix A), the eigenvector basis, the canonical basis for R3, or any other basis for R3. Most likely, you're expected to express them relative to the canonical basis for R3.

So right now the eigenvectors are wrt to the U basis and it wants me to write them wrt to the canonical basis (standard basis?) of R3?

Related to Representation by a diagonal matrix question

1. What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a type of square matrix where all of the elements outside of the main diagonal (the diagonal from the top left to the bottom right) are equal to zero. The elements on the main diagonal can be any number, including zero.

2. How is a matrix represented by a diagonal matrix?

A matrix can be represented by a diagonal matrix by replacing all of the elements outside of the main diagonal with zeros. The elements on the main diagonal will remain the same.

3. What are the benefits of representation by a diagonal matrix?

Representation by a diagonal matrix can simplify calculations and operations on the matrix, as the zeros outside of the main diagonal do not affect the outcome. It can also provide insight into the characteristics of the matrix, such as its eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

4. How can a diagonal matrix be used in linear algebra?

Diagonal matrices are commonly used in linear algebra to represent linear transformations, as they are easy to work with and can provide useful information about the transformation. They can also be used to solve systems of linear equations and find the inverse of a matrix.

5. Can any matrix be represented by a diagonal matrix?

Not every matrix can be represented by a diagonal matrix. Only square matrices (matrices with the same number of rows and columns) can be represented by a diagonal matrix. Additionally, a matrix can only be represented by a diagonal matrix if it is a diagonalizable matrix, meaning it can be transformed into a diagonal matrix using a similarity transformation.