Represenation of a state vector in a different basis

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of expanding a state vector in a basis and whether it must always be with respect to some observable. It is explained that any state vector can be expanded in a basis where the basis states are eigenvectors of a Hermitian operator, which represents an observable. However, it is noted that this observable may not have a physical meaning. The conversation also addresses questions about the completeness of a set of basis vectors and how different representations of a state vector contain the same information. It is clarified that different representations may focus on specific properties, but the overall state, which combines all properties, contains all the information about the system.
Higgsono
Is it possible to expand a state vector in a basis where the basis vectors are not eigenvectors for some observable A? Or must it always be the case that when we expand our state vector in some basis, it will always be with respect to some observable A?

Physics news on Phys.org
Given a basis you can always construct a Hermitian operator such that the basis states are its eigenvectors and they all have different eigenvalues. This, a priori, would represent an observable. Whether this observable is easy to actually observe or holds any deeper meaning is a different issue.

Any state vector is an eigenvector of, for example, the identity operator ##\hat{I}##:

##\hat{I}\left|\right.\psi\left.\right> = \left|\right.\psi\left.\right>## for any ##\left|\right.\psi\left.\right>##.

This doesn't have any physical meaning, as it's an "observable that always has value 1".

Does an expansion like ## \Psi = \sum_{i} a_{i}e_{i}## even have any meaning if it isn't with respect to some operator corresponding to an observable? Another question I have is, since ##\Psi## is supposed to contain all the information about the system in order to predict it's time evolution, how can we know that our representation in different basis contain this information? Sure I might have a complete set with respect to some observable, but is it complete in the sense that it captures all physical information about the system?

In order to have an operator, you need to define the space that operator acts on. There is no such thing as "complete set with respect to some observable". A set of basis vectors is either complete or not. Ultimately, being complete just means that you can write any state as a linear combination of your basis states.

Higgsono said:
Does an expansion like Ψ=∑iaieiΨ=∑iaiei \Psi = \sum_{i} a_{i}e_{i} even have any meaning if it isn't with respect to some operator corresponding to an observable?
Yes, it is a representation of the physical state. However, in order to relate it to observables, you need to consider how different observables act on that state.

Higgsono said:
Another question I have is, since ΨΨ\Psi is supposed to contain all the information about the system in order to predict it's time evolution, how can we know that our representation in different basis contain this information?
Because the basis you use to express something does not affect what that something is. This is basic linear algebra.

Orodruin said:
Because the basis you use to express something does not affect what that something is. This is basic linear algebra.

It should, If I express the state of an electron in the momentum representation or in the +- spin representation, the two representations does not contain the same information. The first says nothing about spin and the second nothing about momentum of the particle. I don't see there being a unitary representation between those two representations. But I suppose the point is that when you express it in the spin-basis you assume the momenta is already known.

Higgsono said:
It should, If I express the state of an electron in the momentum representation or in the +- spin representation, the two representations does not contain the same information. The first says nothing about spin and the second nothing about momentum of the particle.
So what? You are describing two different properties of the electron here and when you look individually at each you do not need to look at the full Hilbert space - it suffices to look at the subspace for the variable you are interested in. The full state space is the product of the spin and momentum state spaces and the momentum operator on that full state space is trivially composed of the identity on the spin space and the momentum operator on the momentum space.

Higgsono said:
It should, If I express the state of an electron in the momentum representation or in the +- spin representation, the two representations does not contain the same information. The first says nothing about spin and the second nothing about momentum of the particle. I don't see there being a unitary representation between those two representations. But I suppose the point is that when you express it in the spin-basis you assume the momenta is already known.

The state vector represents the dynamical information about the electron. When you are dealing with a spin state, you are only studying its spin. The position/momentum is not relevant. (Note: this is conceptually no different from the classical case, where you may study the spin of a rigid object without considering the motion of its centre of mass.)

And, when you are dealing with the position or momentum representation, you are only studying its "motion", and are not interested in its spin. (Again, this is conceptually analogous to what you do in classical mechanics: you don't need to consider the Earth's spin when studying its solar orbit, for example.)

To get the complete picture you would need to combine these two states into an overall state by taking the product. The state of an electron, therefore, would be of the form ##\psi(\vec{r}) \chi(\vec{s})##, which contains all the information about its "motion" and its spin.

Your course may cover this at some point, as the overall state is relevant to electron bonding, for example.

Related to Represenation of a state vector in a different basis

1. What is a state vector?

A state vector is a mathematical representation of a quantum system, typically denoted by the symbol |Ψ⟩. It contains information about the quantum state of the system, including its position, momentum, and other physical properties.

2. What does it mean to represent a state vector in a different basis?

In quantum mechanics, a basis refers to a set of vectors that can be used to describe the state of a system. Representing a state vector in a different basis means expressing it in terms of a new set of basis vectors, which may be more convenient or useful for a particular problem or calculation.

3. Why do we need to represent state vectors in different bases?

Representation of state vectors in different bases is essential in quantum mechanics because it allows us to analyze and manipulate quantum systems in a variety of ways. Different bases can reveal different aspects of the system or make certain calculations easier to perform.

4. How do we represent a state vector in a different basis?

To represent a state vector in a different basis, we use a mathematical operation called a basis transformation. This involves converting the vector's components from one basis to another using a change of basis matrix, which relates the two sets of basis vectors.

5. What are the benefits of representing a state vector in a different basis?

There are several benefits to representing a state vector in a different basis. It can simplify complex calculations, reveal hidden properties of the system, and provide a better understanding of the system's behavior. It also allows for the application of different mathematical techniques and tools, making it a powerful tool for studying quantum systems.