Reporting on the BBC on molar agenesis in modern humans?

• Thread starter pbuk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a new Australian study on molar agenesis, or the absence of molars. The study was not mentioned on the BBC website or anywhere else, but the conversation referenced a feature on the BBC's 'Science Focus' website about humans evolving an extra artery in the arm. The study also mentioned that many babies are now being born without wisdom teeth, and that faces are becoming shorter with smaller jaws, potentially due to gene flow. The paper referenced in the conversation is titled "Recently increased prevalence of the human median artery of the forearm: A microevolutionary change." Some unscientific comments were also mentioned, but the name of the BBC correspondent was not remembered.
pbuk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Whilst driving yesterday I half-heard a headline on BBC radio which appeared to be about a new Australian study on molar agenesis (they did not use that term). Now I can find no reference to this study on the BBC website nor anywhere else - can anyone here shed any light on this?

Biology news on Phys.org
Can you give a better description for what the study found?

Last edited:
This is the feature on the BBC's 'Science Focus' website:
https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/humans-are-evolving-an-extra-artery-in-the-arm/

The phrase that pricked up my ears was this: "The median artery is not the only example of ongoing human evolution. Many babies are being born without wisdom teeth. Dr Lucas said faces are becoming a lot shorter, with smaller jaws meaning there is less room for teeth."

The paper that is referenced is Recently increased prevalence of the human median artery of the forearm: A microevolutionary change.

I think there were some more very unscientific comments; it occurs to me that the most likely explanation (for contemporary molar agenesis and changes in lower jaw shape in Australia) is gene flow.

I don't remember the name of the BBC correspondent, it certainly wasn't the (always excellent) Pallab Ghosh.

1. What is molar agenesis in modern humans?

Molar agenesis, also known as congenital absence of molars, is a condition where one or more molars fail to develop in the mouth.

2. How common is molar agenesis in modern humans?

The prevalence of molar agenesis varies depending on the population, but it is estimated to affect 2-10% of the general population.

3. What causes molar agenesis in modern humans?

Molar agenesis can be caused by genetic factors, environmental factors, or a combination of both. It is often associated with other dental anomalies and syndromes.

4. What are the potential consequences of molar agenesis?

The main consequence of molar agenesis is difficulty in chewing and grinding food, which can lead to problems with digestion and nutrition. It can also cause aesthetic concerns and affect speech.

5. Is there a treatment for molar agenesis in modern humans?

Treatment for molar agenesis depends on the individual case and the severity of the condition. Options may include orthodontic treatment, dental implants, or prosthetic solutions such as bridges or dentures.