Reply to post doesn't quote the post

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the "+Quote" feature in the message editor window doesn't reliably quote posts from multiple pages. I've found a workaround by putting a carriage return in the editor window before inserting the quotes.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
This morning, when I reply to a post (with the "+Quote" showing under the post), the post isn't reliably quoted in the message editor window. I'm using Firefox 35.0.

This might be a symptom of the more general problem of "slow response time". In trying to create this thread, that function has failed to produce a result several times.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you're clicking the [INSERT QUOTES...] button in the lower left of the editor?

I too find the quote feature often misfires.
It'll give me the dialogue that let's me review and delete quotes to be added, but when I click insert, nothing gets inserted.

I use Chrome.

I have found a workaround though. I put a carriage return in the editor window before inserting the quotes. I wonder of perhaps it is simply a matter of cursor-focus. If the editor window is not in-focus when you insert quotes, maybe it won't insert anything. Haven't tried that yet.

Last edited:
Workaround: you can use the "Reply" button - I don't see any advantage of the "+Quote" feature unless you want to quote posts from multiple pages (but even then, a simple copy&paste does the same job).

It's the reply button that wasn't working. I mentioned "+Quote" only to indicate that "-Quote" wasn't showing when I clicked "reply".

Might be another symptom of our testing out a new web server. We ran into problems again and had to roll back to the previous version.

Stephen Tashi said:
This might be a symptom of the more general problem of "slow response time". In trying to create this thread, that function has failed to produce a result several times.
I've noticed this as well from time to time, that when you Reply to a post, occasionally there will be nothing in the text window. I think "slow response time" might be what's happening. I don't believe this is due to a different version of the web server, as I think I saw this problem after the problems of about a week ago, and after the rollback to a functioning version of the web server.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Might be another symptom of our testing out a new web server. We ran into problems again and had to roll back to the previous version.

I've ran into this problem several times over the last few months, just not often enough to bring it up to you.

Stephen Tashi said:
This morning, when I reply to a post (with the "+Quote" showing under the post), the post isn't reliably quoted in the message editor window. I'm using Firefox 35.0.[...]

As far I remember, this option has been disabled for FF 35.0, but is expected to be available again for FF 37.0, as FF 36.0 is to be launched May 15th, which is too soon to make any changes, I”m afraid. As such, patience is a virtue, as great minds once said. :D

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to Reply to post doesn't quote the post

1. What does "reply to post doesn't quote the post" mean?

When someone replies to a post on an online forum or platform, they have the option to quote the original post in their response. This means that the original post will be included in their reply, making it easier for readers to understand the context of the response. "Reply to post doesn't quote the post" simply means that the person who replied did not include the original post in their response.

2. Why do people sometimes not quote the post when replying?

There could be a few reasons why someone might choose not to quote the post when replying. One possible reason is that the original post was very long and the person only wants to respond to a specific part of it. Another reason could be that the person wants to provide a general response without getting too specific. Additionally, some people might simply forget to include the quote when replying.

3. Does not quoting the post affect the conversation or discussion?

Not quoting the post can sometimes affect the conversation or discussion in a negative way. Without the context of the original post, readers may have a harder time understanding the response and the overall flow of the conversation can become disjointed. However, in some cases, not quoting the post may not have a significant impact on the discussion.

4. Is there a way to quote a post when replying on all online platforms?

Most online platforms have the option to quote a post when replying, but the specific method may vary. Some platforms may have a quote button or an option to copy and paste the original post into the response. It's best to check the platform's guidelines or FAQs for the specific steps to quote a post when replying.

5. How can not quoting the post be avoided when replying?

If you want to ensure that the original post is included in your response, the simplest way is to use the quote function if it's available on the platform. Additionally, you can also mention specific parts of the original post in your response to make it clear what you are referring to. Finally, double-checking your response before posting can also help avoid not quoting the post accidentally.