Replacing smoke detector alarm battery help

In summary, the smoke alarm is in a difficult to access place and the battery is being blocked by the permanent power. The battery compartment needs to be accessed and the connector needs to be replaced.
edward said:
Do not put a 9 Volt battery in your pants pocket with your keys. I don't know why but I had to do it twice before it was burned into my brain.

Why do you wear your pants on your head?

As to the original question: You need to have the apartment building manager replace the alarms (or at least let him task the building's facility manager to do it). The apartment building manager needs to ensure ALL fire alarms are in working order since a dead smoke detector in one apartment could have a catastrophic effect on all of the residents. They should check the alarms once a year and replace the batteries often enough that a detector chirping would be a very rare occurence.

Physics news on Phys.org
edward said:
Do not put a 9 Volt battery in your pants pocket with your keys. I don't know why but I had to do it twice before it was burned into my brain.
or change/coins. I did that, and it was amazing how fast and how hot it got.

Put in brand new alarms and the speaker still chirps

Greg Bernhardt said:
Put in brand new alarms and the speaker still chirps
jedishrfu said:
I found this reference that talks about resetting it since it may still retain the error code for a low battery

http://sacramentopress.com/2010/08/...ries-but-my-smoke-detector-wont-stop-beeping/
It doesn't appear to me that the speaker and your alarms are directly related to each other, so that isn't surprising to me.

If it is keeping you up at night and your landlord won't come immediately to fix it, I'd be inclined to rip it out of the wall.

Likes dlgoff