Removing Hissing Sound from Film Audio - Equipment Dependent?

In summary: Possibly a dirty or corroded power supply? Or a loose ground?Thanks.No hissing sounds on my videos, shot using at least 5 different cameras*, IMHO either your camera mike or your camera ADC is noisy. I also think it's likely that the hiss comes from the electronics and/or power supply. Possibly a dirty or corroded power supply? Or a loose ground?
leroyjenkens
When you film something using the microphone on the camera or an external microphone, is there always that hissing sound that you have to remove by running the video through a high pass or low pass filter? Or does it depend on the quality of the microphone? I have a pretty cheap microphone, and I always have that hissing sound. Both the internal and external microphones for my camera make that sound that I have to have removed from the audio.
I've watched lots of videos taken by people and none of them have that hissing sound in them, so I was wondering if I'm just operating with really cheap equipment, or are all of those people manually having that hissing sound removed from their audio before uploading the videos.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No hissing sounds on my videos, shot using at least 5 different cameras*, IMHO either your camera mike or your camera ADC is noisy.

*That is, there is a cracking sound on videos I shot with PowerShot D20, but I believe mike was killed by 60 ft of water. It is guaranteed to survive 33 ft.

leroyjenkens said:
Both the internal and external microphones for my camera make that sound that I have to have removed from the audio.

Does your external microphone have a cord with a decent length? You could try trouble-shooting the setup. Make different recordings with the external microphone 1) close to the camera, pointing towards the camera 2) further away from the camera, pointing away from it and e.g. 3) with the camera "soundproofed" (e.g. put a pillow over it, covering the camera). In this way, and if you compare the recordings, you should be able to determine where the hissing sound comes from.

leroyjenkens said:
When you film something using the microphone on the camera or an external microphone, is there always that hissing sound that you have to remove by running the video through a high pass or low pass filter? Or does it depend on the quality of the microphone? I have a pretty cheap microphone, and I always have that hissing sound. Both the internal and external microphones for my camera make that sound that I have to have removed from the audio.
I've watched lots of videos taken by people and none of them have that hissing sound in them, so I was wondering if I'm just operating with really cheap equipment, or are all of those people manually having that hissing sound removed from their audio before uploading the videos.

Thanks.

Semi-random guess- lack of an electrical ground, or ground 'loops' (multiple grounds).

I also think it's likely that the hiss comes from the electronics and/or power supply.

Related to Removing Hissing Sound from Film Audio - Equipment Dependent?

1. What is the most common cause of hissing sound in film audio?

The most common cause of hissing sound in film audio is interference from electronic equipment, such as cameras or recording devices. This interference is known as electromagnetic interference (EMI) and can be caused by faulty or poorly shielded equipment.

2. Can I remove hissing sound from film audio without specialized equipment?

It is possible to reduce hissing sound using basic audio editing software, but removing it completely without specialized equipment is often difficult. Using a high-quality external microphone and properly shielding equipment can help prevent hissing sound in the first place.

3. What type of specialized equipment is needed to remove hissing sound from film audio?

The type of specialized equipment needed depends on the severity of the hissing sound and the specific needs of the project. Some common tools for removing hissing sound include audio noise reduction software, equalizers, and de-hissers.

4. Is it possible to remove hissing sound from film audio completely?

While it is possible to greatly reduce or remove hissing sound from film audio, it is often difficult to completely remove it. This is because the hissing sound is often embedded in the original recording and removing it completely can also remove other important audio elements.

5. How can I prevent hissing sound in film audio?

To prevent hissing sound in film audio, it is important to use high-quality equipment and properly shield all electronic devices. It is also helpful to record in a quiet environment and use external microphones for better audio quality. Additionally, using noise reduction techniques during the editing process can help reduce hissing sound in post-production.