Remove Electric Window Motor from Truck Door

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanic
In summary, removing an electric window motor from inside the door of a truck involves identifying the vehicle's make, model, and year, purchasing a repair manual, carefully following the instructions in the window motor replacement chapter, and enlisting the help of a mechanic if needed. It is important to disconnect the battery before attempting this task and to be cautious of any electrical issues with the window switch. Some vehicles may require special tools for this process, and it may be necessary to replace rivets with bolts and nuts. The job can be difficult and is often better left to a professional.
Topher925 said:
In newer vehicles, window motors are not meant to be replaced...

Window motors are very prone to failure ...

And then they wonder why the auto manufacturers are going bankrupt? Regardless of how expensive they want to make the replacement part, if something is prone to failure, they should make it accessible to be replaced without taking half the car apart, and certainly shouldn't permanently rivet it in place.

On the issue of dogs stepping on window buttons, that's why newer cars either have a driver's side window lock that you can prevent passengers from controlling their own windows (for the sake of children too), or have replaced those rocker buttons with ones you have to pull up on to raise the window, and pushing (or stepping) on the button only lowers it.

However, they still haven't done this for door locks yet, as my friend whose dog locked her out of her car found out. (The downside of child proofed cars is that having a back window cracked open doesn't give you access to any buttons that will unlock any doors.) And, no, she hadn't just left her dog in the car. The dog did this while she was walking around from the passenger side, where the dog had hopped in, to the driver's side.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:

On the issue of dogs stepping on window buttons, that's why newer cars either have a driver's side window lock that you can prevent passengers from controlling their own windows (for the sake of children too), or have replaced those rocker buttons with ones you have to pull up on to raise the window, and pushing (or stepping) on the button only lowers it.

We have this type of switches in our newer car. I still have trouble opening and closing windows, this type of switch is just not intuitive.

Moonbear said:
However, they still haven't done this for door locks yet, as my friend whose dog locked her out of her car found out. (The downside of child proofed cars is that having a back window cracked open doesn't give you access to any buttons that will unlock any doors.) And, no, she hadn't just left her dog in the car. The dog did this while she was walking around from the passenger side, where the dog had hopped in, to the driver's side.

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

I'm so glad I've taken to just driving without any doors. Life is so much simpler. :smile:

BobG said:
:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

I'm so glad I've taken to just driving without any doors. Life is so much simpler. :smile:

I'm so glad my car finally got towed away (I surrendered the title for the tow... since I never got around to "craigslisting" or "freecycling" it).

To my husband's chagrin, it didn't qualify as a "clunker" but I didn't really want a new car anyway. Door to door, it's only 1 mile to my office... and in bad weather, a free trolley gets me about 3/4th's of the way.

I hadn't driven it in about 8 months (and before that only about once a month), I hadn't renewed the registration and insurance, and it had some minor issues (due to a failed speed sensor) and pending expenses (tires, brakes + rotors, etc.) that surmounted its blue-book value by threefold. To put this in full context, it was also an aged GM (Bonneville) that really never was my style ... pimp-car carpet on the dash and cosmetically vandalized before I bought it... placing it in my grad-school era price range... but not really something I'd want to be caught driving when 2/3rds of the students around here seem to drive something MUCH better.

physics girl phd said:
I'm so glad my car finally got towed away (I surrendered the title for the tow... since I never got around to "craigslisting" or "freecycling" it).

To my husband's chagrin, it didn't qualify as a "clunker" but I didn't really want a new car anyway. Door to door, it's only 1 mile to my office... and in bad weather, a free trolley gets me about 3/4th's of the way.

I hadn't driven it in about 8 months (and before that only about once a month), I hadn't renewed the registration and insurance, and it had some minor issues (due to a failed speed sensor) and pending expenses (tires, brakes + rotors, etc.) that surmounted its blue-book value by threefold. To put this in full context, it was also an aged GM (Bonneville) that really never was my style ... pimp-car carpet on the dash and cosmetically vandalized before I bought it... placing it in my grad-school era price range... but not really something I'd want to be caught driving when 2/3rds of the students around here seem to drive something MUCH better.

I don't want to turn this into a political debate, but I can't resist commenting on how appalling it is that an ACTUAL clunker doesn't qualify for the cash for clunkers rebate. :rolleyes:

I've had mine seem to go out. I took the panel off, took the motor out and rotated the shaft a few times and freed itself up. I believed it seized up from lack of use. The lubricant must have settled to one side of the bearing.

Then I wired it up backwards. Up is down and down is up. LOL

drankin said:
Then I wired it up backwards. Up is down and down is up. LOL

That's no problem; just pull the switch and replace it upside-down...

I think my finger in infected.

tribdog said:

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either contextually or from a spelling standpoint. :confused:

tribdog said:

Danger said:
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either contextually or from a spelling standpoint. :confused:

And it has absolutely nothing to do with car windows or power locks or pet/vehicle safety. Start your own thread!

It has a lot to do with car windows when you consider that I already said that I cut my finger trying to change the motor in one.

My bad. I read through the thread to check, but somehow missed that post. I just saw it now.
You still need work on your typing, though. :-p

Danger said:
My bad. I read through the thread to check, but somehow missed that post. I just saw it now.
You still need work on your typing, though. :-p

unless the finger I cut is the one I use to type "s" so I had to use an "n" instead.

tribdog said:
unless the finger I cut is the one I use to type "s" so I had to use an "n" instead.

Nice try, but there are 4 "s"'s (and a "w"; same finger) in the post where you mentioned being cut, and 8 "s"'s in the post that I just quoted. :rolleyes:

Integral said:
IM000839.jpg

Thank you for wearing a belt.