Remembering a Poem: Searching for Lost Lines of Black Daffodils

Thomas+CravenIn summary, the conversation is about a person trying to remember and find a poem that contains the line "black daffodils" written by a famous poet, possibly Walt Whitman or Thomas P C Craven. They ask for suggestions and mention a possible link to the poem by Michael Marsh. However, they are unable to find any information about Thomas Craven and decide to wait until The Jeopardy Archive updates their database.
Mk
A famous poet wrote a poem that I want to remember and read right now, but I can't :frown: I remember one line ends in "black daffodils." It might have been Walt Whitman, or somebody. Are there any suggestions to what I might be thinking about?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mk said:
or somebody.
Thomas P C Craven?

Is it this by Michael Marsh?http://www.strangehorizons.com/2002/20020204/gargoyle.shtml"

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
Thomas P C Craven?
I couldn't find anybody by the name of Thomas Craven
daveb said:
Is it this by Michael Marsh?http://www.strangehorizons.com/2002/20020204/gargoyle.shtml"
Nope!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Remembering a Poem: Searching for Lost Lines of Black Daffodils

1. Can a person truly remember a poem word for word?

It is possible for some individuals to have a remarkable ability to remember a poem word for word. However, the accuracy of a person's memory can vary greatly, and it is more common for people to remember only certain lines or phrases of a poem.

2. How does the brain store and retrieve memories of poems?

The brain stores memories of poems in the same way it stores other types of memories. When we experience a poem, the information is encoded and stored in our brains. Retrieving a memory of a poem involves activating the same neural pathways that were used to store the memory initially.

3. Why do we sometimes forget lines of a poem we used to know well?

Forgetting lines of a poem can happen for a variety of reasons. It could be due to the passage of time, changes in our brain's ability to remember information, or simply lack of practice in reciting the poem. Additionally, our memory of the poem may become less accurate over time due to the phenomenon of memory distortion.

4. Can reciting a poem help with memory retention?

Yes, reciting a poem can help with memory retention. The act of repeating information can improve our ability to remember it. Additionally, reciting a poem can engage multiple areas of the brain, making it more likely for the information to be stored and retrieved effectively.

5. Is there a difference between remembering a poem and understanding its meaning?

Yes, there is a difference between remembering a poem and understanding its meaning. Remembering a poem involves being able to recite it accurately, while understanding its meaning involves comprehending the deeper themes and messages within the poem. Both remembering and understanding a poem are important aspects of appreciating and analyzing literature.