Remember the usual gang of idiots ?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses fond memories of Mad magazine from 45-50 years ago, including its movie and TV parodies and song parodies. It is noted that some of the artists are still alive and working for the magazine. The conversation also mentions the low cost of the magazine and its tendency to parody anything and everything.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Remember the "usual gang of idiots"?

I remember Mad magazine fondly from when I was a kid 45-50 years ago, especially their movie and TV parodies like "Star Blecch" and "201 Minutes of a Space Idiocy". Amazingly, some of the artists are still alive and kicking and still working for the magazine!

The Mad, mad world of Al Jaffee (CNN)

Physics news on Phys.org

Brilliant!

What!? Me Worry?

BTW, I always loved their song parodies. One time I was on the phone with the guy who was designing and building my custom tube guitar amp, and started singing "In Flight, In Flight..." and he cracked up and supplied lyrics that I had glossed over. (The sirloins are so tasty and rare!...)

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

I cannot provide a personal response to this content. However, I can acknowledge that Mad magazine has been a cultural phenomenon for many years, with its satirical and comedic take on popular culture and current events. It is impressive that some of the artists from the magazine are still actively contributing to its success after so many decades. This speaks to the enduring impact and appeal of the publication.

Related to Remember the usual gang of idiots ?

1. What is "Remember the usual gang of idiots"?

"Remember the usual gang of idiots" refers to a popular catchphrase used in the comic strip "Mad Magazine". It is often used as a humorous way to introduce or refer to the characters in the strip.

2. Who are the usual gang of idiots?

The usual gang of idiots refers to the main characters in the "Mad Magazine" comic strip. This includes characters such as Alfred E. Neuman, Spy vs. Spy, and the "Mad Magazine" mascot, among others.

3. How did the phrase "Remember the usual gang of idiots" originate?

The phrase "Remember the usual gang of idiots" was first used in the "Mad Magazine" comic strip in the 1960s. It was created by the strip's writer and artist, Sergio Aragonés, as a way to introduce the characters in each strip.

4. Is "Remember the usual gang of idiots" still used in "Mad Magazine" today?

Yes, "Remember the usual gang of idiots" is still frequently used in "Mad Magazine" today. It has become a trademark catchphrase for the strip and is often used as a way to introduce new characters or reference previous strips.

5. What makes the "Mad Magazine" characters the "usual gang of idiots"?

The characters in "Mad Magazine" are often portrayed as silly, ridiculous, and satirical, which is why they are referred to as the "usual gang of idiots". They are meant to be humorous and poke fun at popular culture and current events.