Why Do We Celebrate Bonfire Night on November 5th?

• Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the celebration of Bonfire Night on November 5th, also known as Guy Fawkes Night. The holiday commemorates the failed Gunpowder Plot of 1605, when a group of Catholics attempted to blow up the King and Parliament. Nowadays, the holiday is celebrated with fireworks and bonfires, but it used to involve burning effigies of the Pope. The conversation also mentions the film "V for Vendetta," which is often associated with the holiday. Overall, there are mixed opinions on the holiday and its traditions.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
...the fifth of November,
the gunpowder treason and plot.
I know no reason why the gunpowder treason,
should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes Guy Fawkes it was his intent,
to blow up the King and Parliament.
Three score of barrels hidden below,
poor old England to overthrow...

Have a good bonfire night all! :biggrin:

5mbpmq.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I have always found it strange you celebrate this holiday with fireworks...

Ben Niehoff said:
Me too, me too lol.

I like celebrating it by watching V for Vendetta ^^

Zarqon said:
I like celebrating it by watching V for Vendetta ^^
I had high hopes for that film but it wasn't as good as it could have been :frown:

Ben Niehoff said:
We used to celebrate it by burning effigies of the Pope, but fireworks are a bit more politically correct these days.

AlephZero said:
We used to celebrate it by burning effigies of the Pope, but fireworks are a bit more politically correct these days.
The Lewes bonfire council always does it and it's one of the biggest celebrations in the country. I don't think this is a matter of political correctness, more of just changing times.

Also it's not the pope but pope Paul V.

Ryan_m_b said:
I had high hopes for that film but it wasn't as good as it could have been :frown:

Well, I've found that too high hopes can be the bane of almost any movie experience. Luckily, I watched it without knowing what to expect (hadn't even seen the comics) and I liked it.

Related to Why Do We Celebrate Bonfire Night on November 5th?

What is the significance of Remember Guy Fawkes on 5th Nov?

The 5th of November marks the anniversary of the failed Gunpowder Plot of 1605, in which Guy Fawkes and his co-conspirators attempted to blow up the English Parliament.

Who was Guy Fawkes and why is he remembered on the 5th of November?

Guy Fawkes was a member of the Gunpowder Plot and was arrested while guarding explosives placed beneath the House of Lords. He is remembered as a symbol of rebellion and the plot's failure is commemorated annually on the 5th of November.

What is the Gunpowder Plot and why is it important?

The Gunpowder Plot was a failed attempt by a group of English Catholics to assassinate King James I and blow up the Houses of Parliament. It is important because it was a significant event in British history and is still remembered and celebrated today.

How is Remember Guy Fawkes on 5th Nov celebrated?

The day is marked by bonfires, fireworks, and the burning of effigies of Guy Fawkes. Some also wear masks or costumes associated with the event. It is also traditional to eat Bonfire Toffee, Parkin Cake, and other autumnal foods.

Is Remember Guy Fawkes on 5th Nov still relevant today?

Yes, the event is still relevant today as it serves as a reminder of the consequences of rebellion and the importance of preserving democracy and the rule of law. It also continues to be celebrated as a cultural tradition in the UK and other parts of the world.