Relevant General Education Courses?

In summary, the speaker, a first year physics and astronomy major at Ohio State, is considering which general education courses to take. They are aware that physicists often have knowledge in other subjects and are currently taking an English class as a GE. They are wondering if they should follow the recommended course plan and take foreign language classes early. They also ask for suggestions on other useful subject areas for GEs for a physicist.
Machtay
I'm a first year physics and astronomy major at Ohio State(double major). I just got the information for when my scheduling window opens and I'm thinking about what kind of general education courses I should be taking. I notice that physicists are typically well versed in a lot of topics outside of physics(or at least ones that appear not too related to the physics they study). I'm currently taking an English class as a GE(so putting off foreign language). Would it be best to follow the plan given(below) and take the foreign language classes early and GEs later? What subject areas for GEs that don't contribute to my majors would be helpful, if not entirely necessary, for a physicist? Thanks!

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/undergrad/Physics_Astronomy_Semesters.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you study a foreign language in high school? If you plan to continue studying that language in order to satisfy your foreign language requirement, then it's usually best to take your language courses early so as not to lose momentum and get rusty. If you're going to start from scratch with a different language, then it doesn't matter as much when you start.

Related to Relevant General Education Courses?

1. What are relevant general education courses?

Relevant general education courses are classes that cover a broad range of subjects, such as mathematics, science, literature, history, and social sciences. These courses are designed to provide students with a well-rounded education and develop critical thinking skills.

2. Why are relevant general education courses important?

Relevant general education courses are important because they help students develop a strong foundation of knowledge and skills that are applicable to a variety of fields. These courses also encourage students to explore different subjects and gain a better understanding of the world around them.

3. How do relevant general education courses benefit students?

Relevant general education courses benefit students by providing them with a diverse set of skills and knowledge that are necessary for success in various academic and career paths. These courses also help students develop important skills such as critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving.

4. What types of courses are typically included in relevant general education requirements?

Courses that are typically included in relevant general education requirements are introductory level classes in math, science, English, history, and social sciences. Some universities may also require courses in foreign languages, humanities, and arts.

5. Can relevant general education courses count towards my major?

In some cases, relevant general education courses may count towards your major. However, this varies depending on the specific requirements of your major and university. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine which courses can be used towards both your general education requirements and major requirements.