Relevance of Computer Network Expertise for Grad Studies in EE

In summary: However, if you want to pursue something like computer networks, you'll need to brush up on your Ethernet/TCP/IP protocol basics.
Moneer81
Hello,

I need some advice regarding my plan to apply for a masters in EE.

I have a BS in physics, and I have been in the workforce for about 5-6 years now. I work in the IT field, with a focus on networking, security, LAN/WAN, etc. I have been offered an exciting opportunity of becoming the network engineer for a large enterprise with a rather complex cloud infrastructure. It is pretty exciting, but I am wondering if it will completely suck me into the world of IT with no hopes of getting out.

So my question is, would this expertise and knowledge that I might get be in any way relevant for my future plan of applying to a graduate program in EE? Can my knowledge of Cisco switches and routers, and my understanding of data packets and of the OSI model come in handy in any way?

My EE interests are embedded systems, optical physics, and I guess if I will have an advantage, computer networks.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am bit biased but smart grid, 'internet of things', and the convergence of IT networks and energy infrastructure come to my mind immediately.

As a physicist with long-term IT security experience I completed another master's in energy engineering last year, and did a master thesis on the security of smart metering solutions (comparing some of the protocols there, yes - OSI and stuff did come in handy).

CISCO is also offering some 'solutions for the smart grid' - sure, there is a lot of marketing buzz but the formerly distinct fields definitely get closer.

thanks elkement! I agree that some of the Cisco offerings are to create marketing buzz. The problem is that as a network engineer you end up doing a lot of router/switch/firewall configuration, so yes you become very good at knowing your Cisco commands, but how relevant is that when you try to enroll in a graduate program?

But yes there are some interesting convergence happening now with big data and emerging cloud technologies. It makes for many interesting opportunities...

I work around a lot of people who are leaders on the smart grid effort. If your intent is to design and write firmware for embedded systems then YES this sort of knowledge helps a lot. If your intent is to pursue optical physics, well, it was probably a good learning experience.

As a scientist with expertise in both computer networks and electrical engineering, I can assure you that your IT background and knowledge will be highly relevant for your graduate studies in EE. In today's increasingly interconnected world, computer networks play a crucial role in almost every aspect of technology, including embedded systems and optical physics. Your understanding of networking principles, such as data packets and the OSI model, will give you a unique perspective and advantage in your studies.

Moreover, the skills and experience you have gained as a network engineer will also be valuable in your graduate studies. Your ability to troubleshoot and design complex networks, as well as your familiarity with Cisco switches and routers, will be highly transferable to the field of EE. Additionally, your experience in the IT industry will provide you with a practical understanding of how technology is implemented and utilized in real-world applications, which is essential for success in any engineering field.

Lastly, your interests in embedded systems and optical physics align well with the field of computer networks. Many modern embedded systems rely on network connectivity for communication and data transfer, and optical physics has numerous applications in the design and optimization of high-speed networks.

In conclusion, your expertise in computer networks will not only be relevant but also beneficial for your future studies in EE. I encourage you to embrace your IT background and use it to enhance your understanding of electrical engineering concepts. Best of luck in your graduate studies!

Related to Relevance of Computer Network Expertise for Grad Studies in EE

1. What is the relevance of computer network expertise for graduate studies in electrical engineering?

The relevance of computer network expertise for graduate studies in electrical engineering is significant. In today's digital world, computer networks are an integral part of our daily lives and are essential for the functioning of various devices and systems. As an electrical engineering student, having a strong foundation in computer networks can greatly enhance your understanding of communication systems, signal processing, and control systems. It can also open up opportunities for research and career paths in the field of network engineering and telecommunications.

2. How can knowledge of computer networks benefit me in my graduate studies in electrical engineering?

Knowledge of computer networks can benefit you in your graduate studies in electrical engineering in several ways. It can help you understand the fundamentals of data communication and network protocols, which are essential for designing and analyzing various communication systems. Additionally, having a background in computer networks can also be useful for conducting research in areas such as wireless sensor networks, internet of things, and network security.

3. Do I need prior experience in computer networks to pursue graduate studies in electrical engineering?

No, you do not need prior experience in computer networks to pursue graduate studies in electrical engineering. However, having a basic understanding of computer networks, such as knowledge of network topologies, protocols, and architectures, can be beneficial. Most graduate programs in electrical engineering provide courses in computer networks to help students without prior experience catch up and develop the necessary skills.

4. How can I gain computer network expertise while pursuing graduate studies in electrical engineering?

There are several ways to gain computer network expertise while pursuing graduate studies in electrical engineering. You can take courses specifically focused on computer networks, participate in research projects related to network engineering, or seek internships or co-op opportunities in the field. Additionally, self-study through online resources and books can also help you develop a strong understanding of computer networks.

5. Are there any specific areas of computer networks that are particularly relevant for graduate studies in electrical engineering?

Yes, there are specific areas of computer networks that are particularly relevant for graduate studies in electrical engineering. Some of these areas include network architecture and protocols, wireless and mobile networks, network security and privacy, network optimization and performance analysis, and networked control systems. It is also essential to stay updated with current advancements and trends in the field of computer networks to stay relevant in your graduate studies and future career as an electrical engineer.