Relativity question involving proofs of beta and gamma

In summary: I can't really say more than that without having your book, or having the whole chapter in front of me. But ask if you need something more specific.In summary, the equations given in the problem are approximations to the definitions of relativistic energy, kinetic energy, and momentum. The purpose of this problem is to show that these approximations are valid to second order in beta and epsilon, respectively. This is done by taking a Taylor series expansion of the full definitions and keeping all terms up to second order. The equations given in the problem should then be equivalent to these series approximations to second order.
AegisFLCL

Homework Statement

(a) The ratio v/c is very often denoted by the single symbol β. Show that if β<<1, the following are valid through terms of order β^2

E = mc^2 + (mv^2)/2 = (mc^2)[1+(β^2)/2]
K = (mv^2)/2 = (mc^2)[(β^2)/2]
pc = mvc = m(c^2)β
γ = 1+(β^2)/2

(b) Show that if γ = ε^-1 >> 1, the following are valid through terms of order ε^2

β = 1-(ε^2)/2
E = (ε^-1)*m*c^2
K/E = 1-ε
pc/E = 1-(ε^2)/2
K/pc = 1-ε+(ε^2)/2

Homework Equations

Either none are necessary or I am missing something...

The Attempt at a Solution

First I'm not entirely clear on what the question is asking (especially part b). Am I supposed to substitute in some arbitrary value that goes along with the statement or are they simply asking for algebraic solutions? If someone could clarify and provide hints it would be much appreciated. I did try the first part of part a however.

E = mc^2 + (mv^2)/2 = (mc^2)[1+(β^2)/2]

mc^2 + (mv^2)/2 = (mc^2)[1+(β^2)/2]

1+(β^2)/2 = 1+[(mv^2)/2]/(mc^2)

(β^2)/2 = [(mv^2)/2]*(mc^2)^-1

β^2 = (mv^2)/(mc^2)

β = v/c

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF AegisFLCL,

I think you're kind of on the wrong track here. For your answer to part a, you've started by assuming what you were supposed to prove! What you need to do in the case of the first one (energy) is to start with the full, proper definition of relativistic energy: E = γmc2 where γ = (1 - β)-1/2. You need to show that the expression they gave you is equivalent to this, to second order in beta. In other words, if you take a Taylor series expansion (around β = 0) of the expression for the relativistic energy, and you keep all of the terms in this series approximation up to second order, you should end up with the expression given in the problem. Since β is small, this series approximation should be reasonably accurate, even though you discarded all the higher order terms (above second order).

The point of this question (the first equation) is to show that if β is small, you can just think of the total energy of a particle as being the sum of its rest energy and its non-relativistic (Newtonian) kinetic energy, and this is true to second order.

Last edited:
cepheid said:
Welcome to PF AegisFLCL,

I think you're kind of on the wrong track here. For your answer to part a, you've started by assuming what you were supposed to prove! What you need to do in the case of the first one (energy) is to start with the full, proper definition of relativistic energy: E = γmc2 where γ = (1 - β)-1/2. You need to show that the expression they gave you is equivalent to this, to second order in beta. In other words, if you take a Taylor series expansion (around β = 0) of the expression for the relativistic energy, and you keep all of the terms in this series approximation up to second order, you should end up with the expression given in the problem. Since β is small, this series approximation should be reasonably accurate, even though you discarded all the higher order terms (above second order).

The point of this question (the first equation) is to show that if β is small, you can just think of the total energy of a particle as being the sum of its rest energy and its non-relativistic (Newtonian) kinetic energy, and this is true to second order.

Thanks for the welcome and speedy reply. I'm still having trouble understanding the problem. Does each line (separate eq) require a separate solution? After taking calc 1, 2, DE and multivariable calc I don't remember learning/using a Taylor series expansion. The chapter this question pertains to makes no mention of gamma, beta or any relative equations aside from the one you've given me. In general the clarity of the book is just very poor (for me).

AegisFLCL said:
Thanks for the welcome and speedy reply. I'm still having trouble understanding the problem. Does each line (separate eq) require a separate solution?

Yes, each one is separate approximation that you have to show holds to second order. EDIT: Although, once you do the first one, the second one just follows from it without any additional work.

AegisFLCL said:
After taking calc 1, 2, DE and multivariable calc I don't remember learning/using a Taylor series expansion.

This is a pretty important topic and is usually covered in calc 1, since it is an application of derivatives. I'd say you'll have to look it up and refresh your memory. But basically, it's a method for expressing a function in terms of an infinite power series in some variable. So, truncating the Taylor series after n+1 terms amounts to finding an nth order polynomial that is an approximation to the function. It should be exactly equal to the function at the point around which you're taking the expansion, but deviate from it as you move away from that point, with an error that decreases as you make n larger (i.e. as you include more and more terms from the infinite series). In your case, you only have to find a second order approximation.

AegisFLCL said:
The chapter this question pertains to makes no mention of gamma, beta or any relative equations aside from the one you've given me. In general the clarity of the book is just very poor (for me).

The book certainly must provide definitions for gamma, for the relativistic energy, for the relativistic kinetic energy, and for the relativistic momentum. (If not, look them up on Wikipedia :wink:) None of these are given in your problem. The equations given in the problem are approximations to these that hold true in the classical (Newtonian) limit. You have to show that they are valid approximations.

This is the definition of β, so it is already valid through terms of order β^2. I am not sure what else the question is asking for. It seems like it may be asking for algebraic manipulations to show that these equations are valid through terms of order β^2, but it is not entirely clear. In any case, I would suggest rephrasing the question to make the desired answer more clear.

Related to Relativity question involving proofs of beta and gamma

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and has two main components: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity.

2. What is beta in relativity?

Beta, also known as the speed parameter, is a measure of the velocity of an object relative to the speed of light. In relativity, it is represented by the Greek letter beta (β) and is calculated by dividing the object's velocity by the speed of light.

3. What is gamma in relativity?

Gamma, also known as the Lorentz factor, is a measure of time dilation and length contraction in the theory of relativity. It is represented by the Greek letter gamma (γ) and is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the square root of 1 minus beta squared.

4. How are beta and gamma related in relativity?

In relativity, beta and gamma are mathematically related through the Lorentz transformation equations. This relationship shows how an object's velocity (beta) affects its time dilation and length contraction (gamma) in relation to an observer.

5. What are some proofs of beta and gamma in relativity?

Some proofs of beta and gamma in relativity include the time dilation and length contraction equations, as well as experimental evidence such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. Additionally, the Lorentz transformation equations have been mathematically proven to accurately describe the relationship between beta and gamma in relativity.