Relativity of motion and astronomy

In summary, the laws of physics hold equally well in all frames of references, including inertial frames and non-inertial frames where fictitious forces like the Coriolis force and centrifugal forces come into play. The motion of planets observed from the Earth's frame of reference can be explained using these laws, and calculating their orbital period can be done using the assumption that the sun is fixed due to its much larger mass compared to the Earth. This is a different problem with a different solution compared to calculating the orbital period of a sun-sized mass attracted to a fixed point in space by a force equal to the gravitational force between the Earth and sun.
ViolentCorpse
Greetings,

One of the basic postulates of relativity is that the laws of physics hold equally well in all frames of references. This got me wondering about the geocentric model of solar system which necessarily gives rise to motions of peculiar kinds. For example, the epicycles, which are needed in this model to explain the motion of our planets. This kind of motion seems irregular with regard to the laws of motion and a possible violation of these laws. Hence, my question: Is there anything in special/general relativity, that could account for the motion of planets as observed from the Earth's frame of reference?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The laws of physics hold, but do not necessarily have the same form in all frames of reference. There are classes of frames where the laws take a simple form - inertial frames. There are other frames where the laws have more complex forms, including so-called fictitious forces like the Coriolis force and centrifugal forces. These account for the complex motion of the planets if you decide to take an Earth-centered frame.

Likes ViolentCorpse
Thanks, Ibix. I knew I was missing something. Appreciate it! ^_^

Hello again everyone,

I had a follow-up question of sorts. I was thinking about the frame of reference of Earth and Newton's laws and did some calculations. In the Earth's frame of reference, the sun orbits the Earth. I used Newton's law of gravitation to find the force of attraction between the Earth and the sun. From that, I used the formula of centripetal force to obtain the velocity with which the mass of the sun would move under the influence of Earth-sun gravitational attraction and used that to determine the time the Sun would take to orbit the Earth at that velocity. I got a figure of 188657.4 days i.e a year would be 188657.4 days long if it were the Sun orbitting the Earth...

Now what the hell have I done here? Am I applying the wrong laws in the wrong frame of reference?

I was embarrassed to ask this because this is a stupid result obtained from my very flawed understanding of mechanics, but then I decided I'd rather be embarrassed than remain a fool..

Would you guys be so kind to explain this to me. I'd extremely grateful.

Thank you!

What you have calculated is the orbital period of a sun-sized mass attracted to a fixed point in space by a force equal to the gravitational force between Earth and sun. That's a completely different problem with a completely different solution.

To calculate the sun's "orbit" in a frame in which the Earth is not moving, there are two correct procedures:
1) For an exact solution, note that the sun and the Earth are actually rotating about their mutual center of gravity. Solve that problem in any frame you please (the one in which that common center of mass is at the origin and not moving is by far the easiest) and then transform to coordinates in which the Earth is at rest.
2) For a quite good enough approximate solution, the only one that any non-masochist would use, take advantage of the fact that the sun's mass is so much greater than the Earth's that for all practical purposes the common center of mass is at the center of the sun so we can say that the sun is fixed. That's the standard assumption behind the centripetal force equation you used, and it gives you the expected 365-day orbital period for the earth. Now transform that into coordinates in which the Earth is at rest.

Likes ViolentCorpse
This thread might be happier in Classical, as it's basically about classical Galilean relativity.

Likes ViolentCorpse
Nugatory said:
What you have calculated is the orbital period of a sun-sized mass attracted to a fixed point in space by a force equal to the gravitational force between Earth and sun. That's a completely different problem with a completely different solution.

To calculate the sun's "orbit" in a frame in which the Earth is not moving, there are two correct procedures:
1) For an exact solution, note that the sun and the Earth are actually rotating about their mutual center of gravity. Solve that problem in any frame you please (the one in which that common center of mass is at the origin and not moving is by far the easiest) and then transform to coordinates in which the Earth is at rest.
2) For a quite good enough approximate solution, the only one that any non-masochist would use, take advantage of the fact that the sun's mass is so much greater than the Earth's that for all practical purposes the common center of mass is at the center of the sun so we can say that the sun is fixed. That's the standard assumption behind the centripetal force equation you used, and it gives you the expected 365-day orbital period for the earth. Now transform that into coordinates in which the Earth is at rest.
Thank you, Nugatory. I understand now.

the only one that any non-masochist would use
That made me chuckle. Good one! :D

Related to Relativity of motion and astronomy

1. What is the theory of relativity of motion?

The theory of relativity of motion, also known as the principle of relativity, states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that there is no preferred reference frame in the universe, and the laws of physics are constant and universal.

2. How does relativity of motion impact our understanding of astronomy?

The theory of relativity of motion has greatly impacted our understanding of astronomy by providing a framework for understanding the motion of celestial objects. It has led to the discovery of new phenomena such as time dilation and gravitational lensing, and has helped to explain observations that were previously unexplainable.

3. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity extends these laws to non-inertial reference frames, taking into account gravity and acceleration. Special relativity is also limited to flat spacetime, while general relativity allows for curved spacetime.

4. How does relativity of motion affect our perception of time and space?

According to the theory of relativity, time and space are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time and space can appear differently to different observers depending on their relative motion and gravitational fields. This is known as time dilation and length contraction.

5. What is the significance of Einstein's theory of relativity in modern physics?

Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of the universe and is a fundamental theory in modern physics. It has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is a crucial component in many areas of physics, including cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics. It also paved the way for advancements in technology, such as GPS satellites.