Galilean Relativity and Newton's Laws

In summary, Galileo's principle is that the laws of mechanics are invariant in every inertial reference frame, but this requires an understanding of what that frame is. Newton's laws provide the definition of an inertial frame, and Galileo's principle can be derived from this definition.
leo.
I'm a little bit confused about the relationship between Galileo's Principle of Relativity and Newton's Laws. Indeed, as I understand, the Galilean Principle of Relativity is what Galileo presented with Salviatti's ship discussion. The discussion seems to lead to a simple idea: "if one performs mechanics experiments and makes observations at rest it will be the same as if it he were in uniform motion along a straight line". As a consequence, observing the phenomenon would not allow one to detect the movement since it wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Nowadays, however, the principle is stated as "the laws of mechanics are invariant in every inertial reference frame". This, however, requires an understanding of what one inertial reference frame is supposed to be. As far as I know, the idea of inertial reference frame is provided by Newton's laws. Indeed as I know one inertial reference frame is considered as one in which Newton's laws holds. But given this idea, Galileo's principle written as "the laws of mechanics are invariant in every inertial reference frame" seems meaningless: it should be like that by the definition of an inertial frame.

I also know that Newton's Laws came just after Galileo, so his discussion was made before anyone knew about his laws of motion. In that case, first of all, how Galileo's discussion of Salviatti's ship relates to the statement that "the laws of mechanics are invariant in every inertial reference frame"? And also, how his principle relates to Newton's laws? Is it already included in the definition of an inertial frame?

Physics news on Phys.org
leo. said:
Nowadays, however, the principle is stated as "the laws of mechanics are invariant in every inertial reference frame".
Well, you have to be careful with that formulation. You can write the laws of mechanics in a manifestly coordinate independent fashion so that the laws of mechanics are the same in every frame, regardless of whether the frame is inertial or not.

I am not sure what the official modern formulation is, but I don't think that it matters too much. If you start with the laws of motion then you can derive inertial frames as a class of frames that are equivalent under those laws. If you start with the equivalence of inertial frames then you can constrain the form of the laws of mechanics. Different texts will pick different ones to start from.

First, one of the things that occurred to me when I first read of Galileo's "ship" was that this couldn't really be true because boats are always pitching and rocking with the waves! Of course that was not what Galileo was talking about- pitching and rocking require accelerations and Galileo's "inertial reference frames" required moving with no acceleration. Now, the problem is that today we recognize that an external force is, locally, the same as an accelerated reference frame so the question of exactly what an "inertial reference frame" is is more complicated!

Related to Galilean Relativity and Newton's Laws

1. What is Galilean Relativity?

Galilean Relativity is a principle in physics that states that the laws of motion are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the laws of physics are consistent and do not change based on an observer's frame of reference.

2. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. The second law explains how the acceleration of an object is related to the net force acting on it. And the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How do Galilean Relativity and Newton's Laws relate to each other?

Galilean Relativity and Newton's Laws are closely related. Galilean Relativity confirms that the laws of motion are the same for all observers, which is also a fundamental principle of Newton's Laws. Additionally, Newton's Laws provide the mathematical framework for understanding motion, which can be applied in different reference frames as supported by Galilean Relativity.

4. What is the difference between Galilean Relativity and Einstein's Theory of Relativity?

The main difference between Galilean Relativity and Einstein's Theory of Relativity is that Galilean Relativity is limited to observations in inertial reference frames, while Einstein's theory extends to all reference frames, including non-inertial ones. Additionally, Einstein's theory accounts for the effects of gravity on space and time, which was not considered in Galilean Relativity.

5. How are Galilean Relativity and Newton's Laws applied in real-world situations?

Galilean Relativity and Newton's Laws have countless practical applications in the real world, from predicting the trajectory of a projectile to understanding the motion of planets in our solar system. They are also essential in the design of structures and machines, such as bridges and vehicles, and in the development of technologies like airplanes and spacecraft.