Relative Velocity and angular velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rotating rod and the determination of its angular acceleration and the acceleration of a specific point on the rod. The discussion includes the use of equations and the professor's solution, which clarifies key concepts such as the relationship between angular velocity and acceleration and the acceleration of a point on a rigid body.
_Bd_

Homework Statement

Knowing that at the instant shown rod AB has a constant angular velocity (w = 15 rad/s) counterclockwise (+k) determine (a) the angular acceleration of rod DE (b) the acceleration of point D

Homework Equations

(w = omega)

VB = VA + VB/A
VB/A=w X r
aB = aA + a X r + w X (wXr)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first formula assuming that Va=0 since its pinned, same for its acceleration. VB/A=w X r so then Vb = 60j + 45 i and therefore aB = 900 i + 675 j
so far so good. I then started to solve for the rod B-C and then the rod C-D

the professor told me you can solve for the rod B - D instead, although I don't understand necessarily why I attempted it and got lost.

The professor posted the solution in her webpage and this is what trips me out the most:

[PLAIN]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4236/solutioni.jpg
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4236/solutioni.jpg

That part I highlighted is complteley unknown to me, why is it B/D and not D/B
Im also from what I see, using that system of equations (rod B - D and rod D - E)
it says on the j part component -4wD/E = 60 + 10wAB
I have no clue where did that come from. . .can someone elaborate on that whole part please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems that you are on the right track with your solution, but there are a few key concepts that you seem to be struggling with. Let's break down the problem and go through it step by step.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the angular velocity of a rigid body is the same at all points on the body. This means that the angular velocity of rod AB is also the angular velocity of rod BC, CD, and DE. This is why the professor used the same symbol for the angular velocity of all the rods.

Next, let's look at the formula VB/A=w X r. This formula is used to find the velocity of point B relative to point A. In this problem, point A is the pivot point of rod AB, and point B is the end of the rod. So, using this formula, you correctly found the velocity of point B relative to point A.

Now, let's look at the next formula, aB=aA + a X r + w X (wXr). This formula is used to find the acceleration of point B relative to point A. The first term, aA, represents the acceleration of point A. Since point A is pinned, it has no acceleration, so this term is zero. The second term, a X r, represents the acceleration of point B due to the rotation of the rod. This term is zero because the rod is rotating at a constant angular velocity, so there is no change in its rotational motion. The last term, w X (wXr), represents the centripetal acceleration of point B due to its circular motion. This is the term that you are missing in your solution. If you plug in the values for w and r, you will get the answer given by the professor.

Now, let's move on to part (b) of the problem. The key concept that you seem to be struggling with is that the acceleration of a point on a rigid body is the same as the acceleration of the body itself. In other words, the acceleration of point D is the same as the acceleration of rod DE. This is why the professor used the same symbol for both in the solution.

I hope this helps to clarify some of the confusion you had with the solution. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work and happy studying!
Scient

Related to Relative Velocity and angular velocity

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the objects and is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

To calculate relative velocity, you need to first determine the velocity of the two objects in question. Then, you can use vector subtraction to find the difference in their velocities, taking into account their direction. The resulting vector will be the relative velocity of the two objects.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and angular velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object, while angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's angular displacement. In other words, relative velocity deals with linear motion, while angular velocity deals with rotational motion.

4. How is angular velocity measured?

Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s). It can also be measured in revolutions per minute (RPM), which is the number of full rotations an object makes in one minute.

5. Can relative velocity and angular velocity be used interchangeably?

No, relative velocity and angular velocity are two different concepts and cannot be used interchangeably. They represent different types of motion and are measured in different units. However, they are related in certain scenarios, such as when calculating the relative velocity of an object on a rotating platform.