Relative Simultaneity and Electrodynamics: Lorentz Maths

In summary: FGnnHxh2YtQC&dq=bell+unspeakable&source=gbs_navlinks_sThe Lorentz transformations are used to relate measurements made in different inertial frames of reference. This includes measurements of electromagnetic fields and particles. For example, the magnetic field in one frame may appear as an electric field in another frame, and vice versa. The Lorentz transformations also affect the measurement of time and length in different frames, leading to the concept of relativity of simultaneity.The concept of clock synchronization is used to establish a standard time for different frames of reference. This is necessary because, according to relativity, time is not absolute and can be experienced differently
Austin0
I am interested in how the Lorentz maths were derived from the Maxwell electrodynamic and field equations. But not in a struct mathemetical sense as the math is outside my range but on a simpler conceptual level. For eg. contraction seems to have relevance wrt electron electrostatic fields and their interactions.
Is there any relevance of relative simultaneity in the calculations of electrodynamics?
Was the mathematical expression of relative simultaneity in any way derived from the Maxwell maths or could it be??
Or is it directly a consequence of the clock synchronization convention that was added later with no correlation to electrodynamics?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Austin0 said:
I am interested in how the Lorentz maths were derived from the Maxwell electrodynamic and field equations. But not in a struct mathemetical sense as the math is outside my range but on a simpler conceptual level. For eg. contraction seems to have relevance wrt electron electrostatic fields and their interactions.
Is there any relevance of relative simultaneity in the calculations of electrodynamics?
Was the mathematical expression of relative simultaneity in any way derived from the Maxwell maths or could it be??
Or is it directly a consequence of the clock synchronization convention that was added later with no correlation to electrodynamics?
Thanks

I don't think you need Maxwell's equations to show that the Lorentz transformation is the proper length conserving transformation of Minkowski spacetime.

The interesting thing about relativistic electrodynamics is that electric and magnetic fields 'mix' when viewed from a moving frame. When a frame is boosted, space and time 'mix'

t' = Yt + vYx
x' = Yx + vYt

and a similar thing happens to E and B. If we have 3 electric fields Ex, Ey and Ez and we get a velocity v in the z-direction, then the new fields are (Y is the gamma from the z boost)

E'x = YEx
E'y = YEy
Ez = Ez

and now there are magnetic fields where there were none,

By = vYEx
Bx = vYEy

I've omitted the constants that convert B -> E for clarity.

Mentz114 said:
I don't think you need Maxwell's equations to show that the Lorentz transformation is the proper length conserving transformation of Minkowski spacetime.

The interesting thing about relativistic electrodynamics is that electric and magnetic fields 'mix' when viewed from a moving frame. When a frame is boosted, space and time 'mix'

t' = Yt + vYx
x' = Yx + vYt

and a similar thing happens to E and B. If we have 3 electric fields Ex, Ey and Ez and we get a velocity v in the z-direction, then the new fields are (Y is the gamma from the z boost)

E'x = YEx
E'y = YEy
Ez = Ez

and now there are magnetic fields where there were none,

By = vYEx
Bx = vYEy

I've omitted the constants that convert B -> E for clarity.
From what I have read so far in the link grandpa provided it seems that the basis for
t' = Yt + vYx
did appear much earlier in the form of what they called local time. So it appears the real change is the addition of the gamma transformation factor but the essence of relative simultaneity appeared even before Lorentz. I would not bet large sums on the correctness of my understanding here but so far it seems like this is the basis for simultaniety and the clock convention came later as a rational implementation of this.
I still want to learn more regarding the meaning of "local time" in electrdynamics and more of how relative simultaneity would practically relate to particles and fields etc. in the same way as contraction.
Thanks for your explication ,,,food for thought

"I am interested in how the Lorentz maths were derived from the Maxwell electrodynamic and field equations."
They haven't been and don't follow from Maxwell. Lorentz hoped that would happen, but no one has done it.

"Is there any relevance of relative simultaneity in the calculations of electrodynamics?"
Not until relativity is added.

"Was the mathematical expression of relative simultaneity in any way derived from the Maxwell maths or could it be??"
Only in the sense that in order for Maxwell to be relativistic, simultaneity has to be relative."clock synchronization convention"
What does this mean?

At a conceptual level, you can try "How to teach special relativity'" on p67 of http://books.google.com/books?id=FGnnHxh2YtQC&dq=bell+unspeakable&source=gbs_navlinks_s The handwavy argument has to do with the contraction of the electric field of a moving point charge. The argument has a hole because it needs a system of charges to have a unique equilibium configuration, which isn't true in classical electrostatics. I've heard an argument that tries to fix this by using quantum mechanics, saying that many systems have unique ground states. However, the quantum theory of Maxwell's equations does not hold to arbitrarily high energies, so one might object to using a mathematically unsound theory to derive the Lorentz transformations. I wonder if this can be done by saying that QED is a sound and unique theory (has an infrared fixed point) at low energies, so we can use that to derive the Lorentz transformations (ie. use the canonical form where Lorentz covariance is not manifest, and show that it is equivalent to the covariant form)?

Maxwell's equations are invariant under the Poincare group, and a larger group called the conformal group. The restriction to the Poincare group for special relativity comes when massive fields are considered, in addition to the massless field of Maxwell.

Last edited:
clem said:
"I am interested in how the Lorentz maths were derived from the Maxwell electrodynamic and field equations."
They haven't been and don't follow from Maxwell. Lorentz hoped that would happen, but no one has done it.

"Is there any relevance of relative simultaneity in the calculations of electrodynamics?"
Not until relativity is added.

Then at relativistic velocities does it directly relate to the moving fields and particles and if so how?

"clock synchronization convention"
What does this mean?
The Einstein convention of synchronization through calculations based on reflected light transmission.

Related to Relative Simultaneity and Electrodynamics: Lorentz Maths

What is the concept of relative simultaneity in Lorentz mathematics?

Relative simultaneity refers to the idea that the concept of time is relative and can vary depending on an observer's frame of reference. It is a key component of Lorentz mathematics, which is a mathematical framework used to explain the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in relation to moving objects.

How does Lorentz mathematics explain the phenomenon of time dilation?

Lorentz mathematics uses the concept of relative simultaneity to explain time dilation, which is the observed phenomenon of time passing at different rates for objects in different frames of reference. It states that as an object's velocity increases, time appears to slow down for that object in relation to a stationary observer.

What is the significance of the Lorentz transformation equations in electrodynamics?

The Lorentz transformation equations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the relationship between space and time in different frames of reference. They are essential in the field of electrodynamics as they allow for the accurate calculation of electric and magnetic fields in moving objects.

How does the Lorentz force law account for the effects of relative simultaneity?

The Lorentz force law is a fundamental equation in electrodynamics that describes the force exerted on a charged particle moving through an electric and magnetic field. This law takes into account the effects of relative simultaneity by incorporating the time dilation factor into the calculation of the force.

Can Lorentz mathematics be applied to macroscopic objects?

Yes, Lorentz mathematics can be applied to macroscopic objects as well as subatomic particles. The principles of relative simultaneity and time dilation apply to all objects, regardless of their size. However, the effects may be more noticeable in smaller, faster-moving objects.