Relationship between x and y components of E

Remember that you always have to be careful when dealing with trigonometric equations and be sure to use the identities properly. Also, don't forget to check your final answer to see if it is correct.
jasonchiang97

Homework Statement

Before diving into the quantum-mechanical superposition principle, let’s get some practice with superposition in classical physics. Consider an electromagnetic wave propagating in the z-direction, which is a superposition of two linearly polarized waves. The electric field vector in the wave is
E = Ex + Ey, where Ex = a cos(kz − ωt), Ey = b cos(kz − ωt + δ). (1) The parameter δ is a real number between −π/2 and π/2, and indicates by how much the two components are out of phase. Look at the behavior of the electric field at some fixed value of z, say z = 0 for simplicity.

a) [2pt] Describe what the electric fields Ex and Ey are doing as a function of time.

b) [4pt] Show that there is a simple relation between Ex and Ey which does not involve t. Namely, you should find the following: Ex2/a2 + Ey2[/SUP]/ b2 − 2ExEycos δ/ab = constant. (2) Express the constant in the right-hand side of (2) in terms of the phase shift δ.

I am trying to do b[/B]

as I found in a) that

Ex = acos(ωt) and Ey = bcos(ωt - δ)

Homework Equations

E = Ex + Ey

The Attempt at a Solution

Ex = acos(ωt)
Ey = bcos(ωt)

Ex/a = cos(ωt)
Ey/b = cos(ωt - δ)

I assume I can use Euler formula and say e = cosΘ + isinΘ

So I get

Ex/a = ei(ωt)
Ey/b = ei(ωt - δ) = eiωt / eiδ

So

Ey eiδ/b = eiωt

I assume I set them equal to each other but I don't get the terms that I want for the LHS and the RHS becomes 0.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
jasonchiang97 said:

Homework Statement

Before diving into the quantum-mechanical superposition principle, let’s get some practice with superposition in classical physics. Consider an electromagnetic wave propagating in the z-direction, which is a superposition of two linearly polarized waves. The electric field vector in the wave is
E = Ex + Ey, where Ex = a cos(kz − ωt), Ey = b cos(kz − ωt + δ). (1) The parameter δ is a real number between −π/2 and π/2, and indicates by how much the two components are out of phase. Look at the behavior of the electric field at some fixed value of z, say z = 0 for simplicity.

a) [2pt] Describe what the electric fields Ex and Ey are doing as a function of time.

b) [4pt] Show that there is a simple relation between Ex and Ey which does not involve t. Namely, you should find the following: Ex2/a2 + Ey2[/SUP]/ b2 − 2ExEycos δ/ab = constant. (2) Express the constant in the right-hand side of (2) in terms of the phase shift δ.

I am trying to do b[/B]

as I found in a) that

Ex = acos(ωt) and Ey = bcos(ωt - δ)

Homework Equations

E = Ex + Ey

The Attempt at a Solution

Ex = acos(ωt)
Ey = bcos(ωt)

Ex/a = cos(ωt)
Ey/b = cos(ωt - δ)

I assume I can use Euler formula and say e = cosΘ + isinΘ

So I get

Ex/a = ei(ωt)
Ey/b = ei(ωt - δ) = eiωt / eiδ

So

Ey eiδ/b = eiωt

I assume I set them equal to each other but I don't get the terms that I want for the LHS and the RHS becomes 0.

You have to eliminate the time t. Use the addition law for cosine and write both cos(ωt) and sin(ωt) in terms of Ex, Ey and δ. Then use sin2(ωt)+cos2(ωt)=1.

Likes Delta2
ehild said:
You have to eliminate the time t. Use the addition law for cosine and write both cos(ωt) and sin(ωt) in terms of Ex, Ey and δ. Then use sin2(ωt)+cos2(ωt)=1.
I cannot rewrite the sinδ terms in terms of Ex and Ey and δ unless I am supposed to use

cosx = sin(x+π/2)

ehild said:
don't use bold fonts.

First:do not use bold fonts unless you really want to highlight something. As for Addition Laws of Trigonometry see http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TrigonometricAdditionFormulas.html

Yes, sorry about that.

What I get is

cos2(ωt)cos2(δ) + sin2(ωt)sin2(δ) + 2cos(ωt)cos(δ)sin(ωt)sin(δ)

Which I can sub to get

(Ex2/a2)cos2(δ) + sin(ωt)sinδ + (Ex/a)sin(2δ)sin(ωt)

However I am unsure how to simplify further

jasonchiang97 said:
Yes, sorry about that.

What I get is

cos2(ωt)cos2(δ) + sin2(ωt)sin2(δ) + 2cos(ω)cos(δ)sin(ωt)sin(δ)

Which I can sub to get

(Ex2/a2)cos2(δ) + sin(ωt)sinδ + (2Ex/a)cos(δ)sin(ωt)sin(δ)

However I am unsure how to simplify further
What do you get if you expand cos(ωt-δ) in Ey/b = cos(ωt-δ)?

cos(ωt)cos(δ) + sin(ωt)sin(δ)

I then squared the entire term. Is that step incorrect?

jasonchiang97 said:
cos(ωt)cos(δ) + sin(ωt)sin(δ)

I then squared the entire term. Is that step incorrect?
Why did you square the entire term?

You have Ey/b=cos(ωt)cos(δ) + sin(ωt)sin(δ) and Ex/a=cos(ωt). Substitute Ex/a for cos(ωt) in the expression for Ey/b and isolate sin(ωt).

Likes Delta2
Ah I squared it because I thought I would simplify after.

Okay then I would get

(Ey/b - Excos(δ)/a)/sinδ = sin(ωt)Then I use sin2(ωt) + cos2(ωt) = 1?

jasonchiang97 said:
Ah I squared it because I thought I would simplify after.

Okay then I would get

(Ey/b - Excos(δ)/a)/sinδ = sin(ωt)Then I use sin2(ωt) + cos2(ωt) = 1?

Yes.

ehild said:
Yes.

I get

1/sinδ[Ey2/b2 + Ex2cos2δ/a2-2ExEycosδ/ab] = (1-Ex2/a)

However I am unsure of what to do with the
Ex2cos2δ/a2 on the LHS

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! I figured it out

jasonchiang97 said:
Thanks for your help! I figured it out
You are welcome.

Related to Relationship between x and y components of E

1. What is the relationship between the x and y components of electric field (E)?

The relationship between the x and y components of electric field (E) is described by a vector sum. The x and y components of electric field represent the strength and direction of the electric field in the horizontal and vertical directions, respectively. The magnitude of the electric field can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, while the direction can be determined using trigonometry.

2. How do the x and y components of electric field affect each other?

The x and y components of electric field are independent of each other and do not directly affect each other. However, they both contribute to the overall strength and direction of the electric field. For example, if the x component of electric field is increased, the overall strength of the electric field will also increase, but the direction will remain the same.

3. Can the x and y components of electric field cancel each other out?

Yes, the x and y components of electric field can cancel each other out if they have equal magnitudes but opposite directions. This is known as destructive interference and results in a net electric field of zero at a specific point.

4. How does the direction of the x and y components of electric field affect the overall direction of the electric field?

The direction of the x and y components of electric field determines the overall direction of the electric field. The vector sum of the x and y components will result in the direction of the electric field, which is perpendicular to the direction of the electric field lines at any given point.

5. What is the significance of understanding the relationship between the x and y components of electric field?

Understanding the relationship between the x and y components of electric field is crucial in determining the overall strength and direction of the electric field. This knowledge is essential in various applications, such as electric circuit design and electromagnetic field analysis. It also helps in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.