How Do You Calculate Electric Field Components of a Uniformly Charged Rod?

In summary, the electric field at point P on the y-axis is approximately given by: Ex=rsin(θ)[(kQ)/r^2], Ey=rcos(θ)[(kQ)/r^2]
jls
1. Problem Statement
A uniformly charged rod of length L and total charge Q lies along the x-axis as shown in in the figure below. (Use the following as necessary: Q, L, d, and ke.)

(a) Find the components of the electric field at the point P on the y-axis a distance d from the origin.

(b) What are the approximate values of the field components when d >> L?

2. Equations
I have a diagram and understand that E=kQ/r^2, however, I can not figure out how to define each component.

3. Attempt
I know that I must integrate to solve once I have defined the component, however I do not know how to define them.
Would Ex=rsin(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] and Ey=rcos(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] be at all in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jls, and welcome to PF.
Can't find a picture... or is the figure below in your book only ? In that case:
Is the center of the rod at x=0 ? (would make things easier...)

jls said:
1. Problem Statement
A uniformly charged rod of length L and total charge Q lies along the x-axis as shown in in the figure below. (Use the following as necessary: Q, L, d, and ke.)

(a) Find the components of the electric field at the point P on the y-axis a distance d from the origin.

(b) What are the approximate values of the field components when d >> L?

2. Equations
I have a diagram and understand that E=kQ/r^2, however, I can not figure out how to define each component.

3. Attempt
I know that I must integrate to solve once I have defined the component, however I do not know how to define them.
Would Ex=rsin(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] and Ey=rcos(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] be at all in the right direction?
##E = \frac{kQ}{r^2}## only applies for a point charge. There's probably an example done in your textbook that you might find very helpful.

Yup. Now we set up the integral (which you already expected to be needed). We take a little chunk of rod from x to x+dx and write down the x and y components of ##\vec E## at point ##\vec P = (0, y_P)##. Is one way.

Your Ex=rsin(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] and Ey=rcos(θ)[(kQ)/r^2] looks like an integration over ##\theta##; is fine too.

Both cases you need to express the things that vary in terms of the integrand: r(##\theta##), Q(##\theta##) -- or rather the dQ from ##\theta## to ##\theta + d\theta##. Or express them in x and dx and let x run from 0 to L.

How do you turn that chunk (x to x+dx) into the components? I think I could figure it out if I knew what that meant..

What is a uniformly charged rod?

A uniformly charged rod is a physical object that has a constant charge distributed along its length. This means that the charge is evenly spread out, resulting in a consistent electric field around the rod.

How is the charge distributed along a uniformly charged rod?

The charge on a uniformly charged rod is typically distributed in a linear fashion, meaning that the amount of charge per unit length remains constant. This can be represented by the charge density, which is the amount of charge per unit length along the rod.

What is the electric field around a uniformly charged rod?

The electric field around a uniformly charged rod is also linear, meaning that it increases or decreases proportionally with distance from the rod. The direction of the electric field is determined by the sign of the charge on the rod, with positive charges resulting in an outward electric field and negative charges resulting in an inward electric field.

How does the electric field change with distance from a uniformly charged rod?

The electric field around a uniformly charged rod decreases as the distance from the rod increases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of the field, in this case, the uniformly charged rod.

How can the electric field around a uniformly charged rod be calculated?

The electric field around a uniformly charged rod can be calculated using the equation E = k * λ / r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the charge density of the rod, and r is the distance from the rod. This equation is valid for points along the axis of the rod, and for points far away from the ends of the rod where the electric field is considered to be uniform.