Relationship between two matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of x in the inverse matrix of I+α*u*u', where u is a vector and α is a real number. It is suggested to assume the inverse has a similar form to I+x*u*u' and to use the Woodbury formula. After some calculations, the solution is found to be x = -α / (1+α*u^Tu).
trenekas
Hello. I need some help with one question about relationship of two matrices.
The task:
Suppose that I is identity matrix, u - is vector, u' is transposed vector, α - real number. It can be prove that inverse matrix of I+α*u*u' has similar form I+x*u*u'. The task is to find x.

I tried to calculate inverse of this matrix I+α*u*u', but first of all when i don't know dimension it is very difficult to calculate inverse matrix. I tried to take example when u is from R^2, but even then i can't calculate x.

Any help would be appreciate. Any hints or something else.

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of trying to calculate the inverse, why not assume the inverse is like I+x*u*u' and see what happens when you take the product?

$$(I+\alpha uu^T)(I+xuu^T)=?$$

ok i will try. thanks for help, Matterwawe!

$$(I+\alpha uu^T)(I+xuu^T)=I$$
$$(I+I*xuu^T+I*\alpha uu^T+\alpha uu^T*xuu^T=I$$
So after that
$$I*xuu^T+I*\alpha uu^T+\alpha uu^T*xuu^T=0$$
$$xuu^T+\alpha uu^T+\alpha uu^T*xuu^T=0$$
$$(x+\alpha) uu^T+\alpha*x (uu^T*uu^T)=0$$
$$(x+\alpha) uu^T=-\alpha*x (uu^T*uu^T)$$

And what's next? How can i express x?

$$(x+\alpha)/-\alpha*x =(uu^T)^{-1}(uu^T*uu^T)$$
$$-1/\alpha-1/x=(uu^T)^{-1}(uu^T*uu^T)$$
$$-1/x=(uu^T)^{-1}(uu^T*uu^T)+1/\alpha$$

Last edited:
From equation
$$xuu^T+\alpha uu^T+\alpha uu^T*xuu^T=0$$
follows with
$$uu^T*xuu^T = xu(u^Tu)u^T = x (u^Tu) uu^T$$ (u^Tu is a scalar)
the solution of your question:
$$x = -\alpha / (1+\alpha u^Tu)$$

Related to Relationship between two matrices

What is the relationship between two matrices?

The relationship between two matrices is that they can be multiplied together to produce a new matrix. This new matrix is created by multiplying each element in the first matrix by its corresponding element in the second matrix and then summing the products.

How is matrix multiplication different from regular multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is different from regular multiplication in that it follows a specific set of rules and can only be performed on matrices of certain dimensions. Regular multiplication can be performed on any two numbers, while matrix multiplication requires that the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix.

What is the order of the resulting matrix in matrix multiplication?

The resulting matrix in matrix multiplication will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. For example, if the first matrix is a 3x2 matrix and the second matrix is a 2x4 matrix, the resulting matrix will be a 3x4 matrix.

Can any two matrices be multiplied together?

No, not all matrices can be multiplied together. In order for two matrices to be multiplied, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. This is known as the "multiplicability" rule for matrices.

What is the identity matrix and how does it relate to matrix multiplication?

The identity matrix is a special type of matrix that, when multiplied with any other matrix, will result in the original matrix. It is a square matrix with ones along the main diagonal and zeros everywhere else. In matrix multiplication, the identity matrix acts as the equivalent of the number 1 in regular multiplication.