Relationship between Hubble's Constant and the Age of the Universe

In summary, the Hubble's constant is a number that is used to calculate the age of the universe. It is expressed in terms of m/s/pc, so convert pc to m, which the would give units of 1/T (in 1/s), and 1/H then has units of time.
griff
Can someone please explain what's going on with Hubble's constant. I understand that to calculate the age of the universe you need to use the relationship; t=1/H. But I don't understand how you get the Hubble's constant into a format that you can use.

I've been told that you get a Mpc in Km and divide the Hubble's constant by that value (3.08 exp19). And then put this into the above relationship. But I don't see how this works.

Thanks for any help that is offered.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hubble's constant is similar to an acceleration ... but not quite the same.
H=Dv/Dx is the velocity difference divided by the difference in locations
(while a=dv/dt is the change in velocity divided by the change in time).

So the difference between our velocity and its (measured by red-shift)
Dv = H Dx . Presuming that the velocity of each OBJECT has not changed,
the relative locations increase by their relative velocities as time changes:
Dx = Dv dt + Dx(o) ... here, Dx(o) is the difference in locations at dt = 0.
. . . ^
To find the change in time that has occurred since they were together,
(as in the naive big-bang model) we set Dx(o) equal to 0.
Replacing Dx above gives : Dv = H Dv dt , so dt = 1/H is that time change.

If objects in the universe have been slowing down (or speeding up!),
an acceleration term must be included (above the ^ after line 7).

griff said:
Can someone please explain what's going on with Hubble's constant. I understand that to calculate the age of the universe you need to use the relationship; t=1/H. But I don't understand how you get the Hubble's constant into a format that you can use.

I've been told that you get a Mpc in Km and divide the Hubble's constant by that value (3.08 exp19). And then put this into the above relationship. But I don't see how this works.

Thanks for any help that is offered.

1/H is only valid in an idealized ''empty'' universe.

But going back to the units, notice that H is in kilometers per second per Megaparsecs, that is (k/s)/Mpc. This is a weird combination. it`s a speed per unit distance or a distance per unit time per unit distance! You must realize that the distances cancel out so that this is a complicated way of saying that H has units of one over time, simply.

To be more specific, let`s say you use 71 (km/s)/Mpc. Then you write 1 Mpc as 3.08 x10^19 km, as you said, and this gives (71/3.08x10^19) (km/s)/km = 2.31 x10^(-18) /s. Taking one over this gives a time (in second).

Patrick

Thanks for the help, incidentally do you need to change to units of the constant if your just using it to work out the distance of an object from its red shift using v=Hd or can you just use the units that it is already in for that.

griff said:
Thanks for the help, incidentally do you need to change to units of the constant if your just using it to work out the distance of an object from its red shift using v=Hd or can you just use the units that it is already in for that.
No. Well, to be more precise...if the speed is in km/s, all you do is to use d= v/H as you wrote and the distance will come out in Megaparsecs, since km/s over (km/s per Megaparsecs) gives a result in Mpc.

Patrick

Related to Relationship between Hubble's Constant and the Age of the Universe

1. What is Hubble's Constant and how is it related to the age of the universe?

Hubble's Constant is a measurement of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is denoted by the symbol H0 and has a value of approximately 70 kilometers per second per megaparsec. This constant is used to calculate the age of the universe, as a higher value of H0 indicates a faster expansion and thus a younger universe.

2. How is Hubble's Constant determined?

Hubble's Constant is determined through a combination of observations and calculations. Astronomers use a variety of methods, such as measuring the redshift of galaxies and the cosmic microwave background radiation, to determine the expansion rate of the universe. These observations are then combined with mathematical models to calculate H0.

3. What is the current estimated value of Hubble's Constant?

The most recent estimate for Hubble's Constant is approximately 70 km/s/Mpc, with a margin of error of about 2.3 km/s/Mpc. However, there is ongoing debate and new measurements that suggest a slightly higher value of around 73 km/s/Mpc.

4. How does Hubble's Constant affect the age of the universe?

Hubble's Constant is a crucial component in calculating the age of the universe. It is used in the Hubble-Lemaître Law, which states that the farther away a galaxy is from us, the faster it is moving away from us due to the expansion of the universe. By measuring this expansion rate and using it in mathematical formulas, scientists can estimate the age of the universe.

5. How has our understanding of Hubble's Constant and the age of the universe changed over time?

Our understanding of Hubble's Constant and the age of the universe has evolved over time as new observations and measurements have been made. In the early 20th century, Edwin Hubble first discovered the expansion of the universe and estimated the value of H0 to be around 500 km/s/Mpc. As technology and theories advanced, this estimate has been refined to a much more accurate value of around 70 km/s/Mpc. However, there is still ongoing research and debate surrounding the exact value of Hubble's Constant and its implications for the age of the universe.