Relationship between Frequency and Standing Waveforms.

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between frequency and the number of antinodes on a string with fixed tension, density, and length. The equation for frequency is provided, but it is noted that the answer to the question lies more in theory than in numerical values. It is suggested that a higher frequency leads to more antinodes due to increased points of interference. However, the speaker also recommends drawing diagrams to better understand the relationship between frequency and nodes/antinodes.
Kamuin
Hi all, just a quick problem that I really cannot get my head around, any help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

State, in detail, how the frequency affects the number of antinodes produced on string with a fixed tension, density and length.

Homework Equations

The frequency of a specific standing wave formation is: fn=(N/2L)(√T/µ), where f is frequency, N is number of antinodes, L is medium length, T is tension in the medium, and µ is the medium density. However I don't think many answers can be found within this equation, as more of this question is about theory rather than results.

The Attempt at a Solution

This question does not want answers in terms of any other variables, it wants to know in what way the frequency affects the various waveforms. I was thinking that a higher frequency produces more antinodes, possible because there are more points of interference produced, and more interference points means more antinodes, however I am not sure this is a complex enough explanation.

Thankyou all in advance, I hope you can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
For increasing frequency, the number of nodes will increase as well. Draw several diagrams, double the frequency each time. Then you can deduce how frequency affects the nodes and antinodes.

Related to Relationship between Frequency and Standing Waveforms.

1. What is the relationship between frequency and standing waveforms?

The relationship between frequency and standing waveforms is that as the frequency increases, the number of standing waveforms also increases. This means that the higher the frequency, the more standing waveforms are produced.

2. How does frequency affect standing waveforms?

Frequency affects standing waveforms by determining the number of nodes (points of zero amplitude) and antinodes (points of maximum amplitude) in the wave. Higher frequencies result in more nodes and antinodes, while lower frequencies result in fewer nodes and antinodes.

3. Can standing waveforms have different frequencies?

Yes, standing waveforms can have different frequencies. The frequency of a standing waveform is determined by the source of the wave, such as a vibrating string or a sound source. So, different sources can produce standing waveforms with different frequencies.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in standing waveforms?

The relationship between wavelength and frequency in standing waveforms is inverse. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of wave / frequency.

5. Why do standing waveforms occur at specific frequencies?

Standing waveforms occur at specific frequencies because they are the result of interference between two waves with the same frequency. This interference creates stationary points of maximum and minimum amplitude, resulting in a standing waveform. Only specific frequencies can produce this type of interference, hence the occurrence of standing waveforms at specific frequencies.