Relations between torque for system of pulleys

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transfer function of a pulley system and the equations needed to solve for unknowns. The equations involve moments of inertia, radius, and torques from tensions in the system. There is a discussion on setting equations equal to each other and the importance of understanding conventions for positive and negative directions.
BeeKay

Homework Statement

In an attempt to find a transfer function of the system, I need to come up with equations that I can use to solve for unknowns. See the attached image to see the diagram of the pulley system. J is the moment of inertia, r is the radius. The smaller radius on pulley 2 is r1. Let me know if you can't access the picture.

I believe the sum of the moments on the first pulley should equal that on the second and third, but I do not know

Homework Equations

Iθ'' = Σ M
M = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

1) J1 θ1'' = τ + r1(T1-T2)
2) J2θ2'' = r2(T3-T4)
3) J3θ3'' = r2(T3-T5)
4) x = r2θ2
5) x = r2θ3
6) mx'' = T4-T5 -kx

I feel that I can set equations 1 and 2 equal to each other because there is not a mass or anything between them. I do not think that I can set 2 and 3 equal to each other because it is connected to a mass. But I honestly do not know the actual reasons behind why I can and/or cannot equate them. Equations 4 and 5 tell me that θ1 is equal to θ2, but because they have different moments of inertia the sum of the moments cannot be the same.

Any help is appreciated regarding which equations I can set equal to each other and more importantly what allows me to do that. Thanks

Attachments

• pulley.pdf
    143.9 KB · Views: 200
Physics news on Phys.org
BeeKay said:

Homework Statement

In an attempt to find a transfer function of the system, I need to come up with equations that I can use to solve for unknowns. See the attached image to see the diagram of the pulley system. J is the moment of inertia, r is the radius. The smaller radius on pulley 2 is r1. Let me know if you can't access the picture.

I believe the sum of the moments on the first pulley should equal that on the second and third, but I do not know

Homework Equations

Iθ'' = Σ M
M = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

1) J1 θ1'' = τ + r1(T1-T2)
2) J2θ2'' = r2(T3-T4)
3) J3θ3'' = r2(T3-T5)
4) x = r2θ2
5) x = r2θ3
6) mx'' = T4-T5 -kx

I feel that I can set equations 1 and 2 equal to each other because there is not a mass or anything between them. I do not think that I can set 2 and 3 equal to each other because it is connected to a mass. But I honestly do not know the actual reasons behind why I can and/or cannot equate them. Equations 4 and 5 tell me that θ1 is equal to θ2, but because they have different moments of inertia the sum of the moments cannot be the same.

Any help is appreciated regarding which equations I can set equal to each other and more importantly what allows me to do that. Thanks
In equation 2 I think you are missing the torques attributed to the tensions [itex] T_1 [/itex] and [itex] T_2 [/itex]. Keep in mind that this pulley has a total of four torques acting on it, one from each of the four belt/line segments: two from the bottom and two from the left.

Other than that, be mindful of your own convention (you get to decide) of what direction is positive and what is negative. In other words, is clockwise positive or is counterclockwise positive? This will make a difference in whether you express a term as, say, [itex] r_2 \left( T_3 - T_5 \right) [/itex] or instead as [itex] r_2 \left( T_5 - T_3 \right) [/itex] for example.

Related to Relations between torque for system of pulleys

1. What is torque and how does it relate to pulley systems?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. In a pulley system, torque is the force that is applied to the pulley to make it rotate. Depending on the arrangement of the pulleys, the torque can be multiplied or reduced.

2. How does the number of pulleys in a system affect the torque?

The more pulleys there are in a system, the greater the mechanical advantage and the lower the amount of force needed to lift an object. This means that the torque required to lift an object will also be reduced.

3. Does the position of the pulleys affect the torque in a system?

Yes, the position of the pulleys can affect the torque in a system. If the pulleys are arranged in a way that the rope or belt is parallel to the axis of rotation, the torque will be greater compared to when the rope is perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

4. How does friction impact the torque in a pulley system?

Friction can have a significant impact on the torque in a pulley system. The presence of friction in the pulley wheels can reduce the mechanical advantage and increase the amount of force needed to lift an object. This can also lead to energy loss and affect the efficiency of the system.

5. Can different materials used for the pulley affect the torque in a system?

Yes, the material used for the pulley can affect the torque in a system. Different materials have different friction coefficients, which can impact the efficiency and torque of the system. Choosing the right material for the pulleys is important to ensure optimal performance.