Relation Between Spring Constant and Angular Velocity

In summary, the equation states that the force Constant (K) is proportional to the angular velocity (ω).
Simanto Rahman
I was going through Periodic Motion chapter of my book and came across an equation while defining the relation between Time Period of on oscillating particle and force constant.
k/m=w2

which was applied in, T = 2xpie/angular velocity

can anyone please help me define this equation. I can't seem to find any explanation for it in my textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
ω = angular velocity in rad / s

2⋅π corresponds to one full rotation (2⋅π rad = 360°). If you want to know how many rotations are made in one second, you calculate ω / (2⋅π) = f with f = frequency in s-1. Now you calculated how many rotations per second correspond to your ω. The frequency is the inverse value of the time T, which is needed for one rotation (if something rotates two times per second, it needs 1/2 seconds for one rotation).

→ T = 1 / f = (2⋅π) / ω

I understand the relation between angular velocity and Time period. What I don't understand is the relation between angular velocity and Spring Constant/Force constant (K) which is given as k/m= w2

F is the force to bring a spring-mass system in it's initial position. The (same) force in the spring accelerates the mass in the opposite direction:

Newton's 2nd law: F = - m⋅a = - m ⋅ ∂2x / ∂t2
Hooke's law: F = k ⋅ x

→ k ⋅ x = - m ⋅ ∂2x / ∂t2 → ∂2x / ∂t2 + k/m⋅x = 0

the solution of this DE can be obtained with x = A ⋅ cos (ω⋅t) → -A⋅ω2⋅cos(ω⋅t)+k/m⋅A⋅cos(ω⋅t) = 0 | / A , / cos(ω⋅t)

→ k/m = ω2

stockzahn said:
F is the force to bring a spring-mass system in it's initial position. The (same) force in the spring accelerates the mass in the opposite direction:

Newton's 2nd law: F = - m⋅a = - m ⋅ ∂2x / ∂t2
Hooke's law: F = k ⋅ x

→ k ⋅ x = - m ⋅ ∂2x / ∂t2 → ∂2x / ∂t2 + k/m⋅x = 0

the solution of this DE can be obtained with x = A ⋅ cos (ω⋅t) → -A⋅ω2⋅cos(ω⋅t)+k/m⋅A⋅cos(ω⋅t) = 0 | / A , / cos(ω⋅t)

→ k/m = ω2
But what I didn't get is how,
k ⋅ x = - m ⋅ ∂2x / ∂t2
becomes
2x / ∂t2 + k/m⋅x = 0

I see no way that displacement and mass can get into a multiplication format with each other. If we cross multiply it then we get, k.x/m + d2x/dt2 = 0

And I thought displacement of a particle in Periodic motion is,
x = Asin(w.t)
or, x = A.sin(w.t + δ) when δ is the initial phase.

Alright I did the entire math on my notebook. Figured out your equation. its not k/(m.x) is (k/m).x
The use of brackets would've been nice but I got it. And I see now that you directly differentiated twice the value A.sin(w.t) for the last step. Thank you very much for your help!

Simanto Rahman said:
2x / ∂t2 + k/m⋅x = 0

k.x/m + d2x/dt2 = 0

There is no difference in these to equations, maybe I should have written it like this: ∂2x / ∂t2 + (k/m)⋅x = 0

Simanto Rahman said:
And I thought displacement of a particle in Periodic motion is,
x = Asin(w.t)
or, x = A.sin(w.t + δ) when δ is the initial phase.

At t = 0 the displacement is maximal and therefore A⋅cos (ω⋅t) = A⋅cos (0) = A. A sine curve and a cosine curve are the same, they are just shifted w.r.t. each other (by π/2).

A⋅sin(ω⋅t + π/2) = A⋅cos(ω⋅t)

But try to solve the DE with x = A⋅sin(ω⋅t + π/2) or x = A⋅sin(ω⋅t), you will obtain the same result.

Simanto Rahman said:
But what I didn't get is how,
k ⋅ x = - m ⋅ ∂2x / ∂t2
becomes
2x / ∂t2 + k/m⋅x = 0
Perhaps the way that last equation is written is throwing you off. The second term is better written as (k/m)x.

(I see you've figured it out!)

Related to Relation Between Spring Constant and Angular Velocity

What is the relation between spring constant and angular velocity?

The relation between spring constant and angular velocity is that they are indirectly proportional to each other. This means that as the spring constant increases, the angular velocity decreases and vice versa.

How does the spring constant affect the angular velocity?

The spring constant affects the angular velocity by determining the amount of force needed to produce a certain angular velocity. A higher spring constant means a greater force is needed, resulting in a lower angular velocity.

What is the formula for calculating the relation between spring constant and angular velocity?

The formula for calculating the relation between spring constant and angular velocity is given by:
ω = √(k/I)
Where ω is the angular velocity, k is the spring constant, and I is the moment of inertia of the object attached to the spring.

How does the moment of inertia affect the relation between spring constant and angular velocity?

The moment of inertia also plays a role in the relation between spring constant and angular velocity. A higher moment of inertia means a greater resistance to rotational motion, resulting in a lower angular velocity for a given spring constant.

What factors can affect the relation between spring constant and angular velocity?

Some factors that can affect the relation between spring constant and angular velocity include the length of the spring, the material of the spring, and any external forces acting on the system. These factors can change the value of the spring constant and moment of inertia, thus altering the angular velocity.