Exploring the Relationship between Work and Constant Velocity

In summary, the author is trying to get you away from worrying about details of the problem and towards thinking about the energy.
CollinsArg
Hi! I've found some excercices and expanation of Work always consider a constant velocity, this is a net Force equal to cero. Like spring or gravity excercices related against a force applied. Does this relation with constant velocity has some usefull explanation why? Should I always assume this? (e

Physics news on Phys.org
CollinsArg said:
Should I always assume this?
No, you may find cases where the velocity is not constant. In these cases the work is defined using an integral expression:
$$W(t)=\int_{0}^{t}\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{v}(t')dt'$$
I'm not sure if you are familiar with calculus though.

CollinsArg said:
Hi! I've found some excercices and expanation of Work always consider a constant velocity, this is a net Force equal to cero. Like spring or gravity excercices related against a force applied. Does this relation with constant velocity has some usefull explanation why? Should I always assume this? (e
It is usually a simplifying assumption written into first year physics problems.

Say, for instance that you are pushing a wagon up a hill. The problem asks how much work you have done pushing the wagon up the slope. But the author wants you to be thinking of gravitational potential energy (mgh). The author does not want you distracted worrying about pushing too hard and winding up with a rapidly moving wagon at the top. Or not pushing hard enough and having the wagon starting with high speed and coasting to a stop at the top with no work done.

So the author either may write that the wagon is pushed at a constant velocity or that the wagon is pushed slowly.

It is perfectly valid to consider the work done pushing a wagon with frictionless wheels on a level road. Naturally such a wagon will speed up as you go. The work done is still valid and will then correspond to the difference between the wagon's starting and ending kinetic energy.

Likes NFuller, CollinsArg and Stephen Tashi
Thank you :)

Related to Exploring the Relationship between Work and Constant Velocity

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. It is measured in joules (J).

2. How is work related to constant velocity?

In order for work to be done, there must be a displacement of the object. If an object is moving at a constant velocity, there is no change in its speed or direction, therefore no work is being done.

3. Does work have a direction?

Yes, work is a vector quantity and has both magnitude and direction. It is always in the same direction as the force being applied.

4. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object. This means that the object is losing energy rather than gaining it.

5. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for work is W = F * d, where W is work (in joules), F is the force applied (in newtons), and d is the distance the object moves (in meters).