Relation Between Electric Frequency and magnetic field rotation speed in a motor

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of three phase electric signals being fed into a stator. When two groups of three phase electric signals are fed, four poles are created. The windings are physically and electrically 120 degrees apart, causing one pole to only go half the way and the other one to go the other half. The conversation also mentions finding pictures online to help visualize the concept.
Chacabucogod
Hi!
I understand that if you have a stator with a a three phase electric signal going into it, both the frqyency and angular velocity of the magnetic field and the electric entry will be the same. Now when you feed it with 2 groups of three phases electric signals you get four poles, or at least that is what the book says. Why does that happen. Why does one pole only go half the way and the other one the other half. I can't quite grasp that idea.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Chaca, good question. But each of the three phases is in its own winding. The windings are 120 degrees apart physically (rotationally), too. It is not one winding. I have some stuff I used to teach around here somewhere, if you want help in visualization.

Likes dlgoff
That'd helpful! Thankyou

for your question. The relation between electric frequency and magnetic field rotation speed in a motor is a complex concept, but I will do my best to explain it in simple terms.

First, it is important to understand that the electric frequency refers to the number of times the electrical signal cycles per second. This is measured in Hertz (Hz). On the other hand, the magnetic field rotation speed refers to how fast the magnetic field created by the electric signal is rotating. This is measured in revolutions per minute (RPM).

In a motor, the electric frequency and the magnetic field rotation speed are directly related. This means that as the electric frequency increases, the magnetic field rotation speed also increases. This is because the electric signal creates a magnetic field that rotates around the motor's stator. As the frequency of the electric signal increases, the magnetic field rotates faster.

Now, let's talk about the concept of poles in a motor. A pole is an area of the motor's stator where the magnetic field is the strongest. In a motor with a single group of three phase electric signals, there are two poles. This means that the magnetic field rotates around the stator, creating two poles that are opposite each other.

When you feed the motor with two groups of three phase electric signals, you are essentially doubling the number of poles. This means that the magnetic field will now rotate around the stator, creating four poles that are evenly spaced. This is why one pole only goes half the way and the other one goes the other half - because the magnetic field is rotating around the stator and creating four poles instead of just two.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the relation between electric frequency and magnetic field rotation speed in a motor. It is a complex concept, but it is essential to understand in order to fully grasp how motors work. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.

Related to Relation Between Electric Frequency and magnetic field rotation speed in a motor

What is the relation between electric frequency and magnetic field rotation speed in a motor?

The electric frequency and magnetic field rotation speed in a motor are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the electric frequency increases, the magnetic field rotation speed also increases.

How does the electric frequency affect the performance of a motor?

The electric frequency plays a crucial role in determining the speed and efficiency of a motor. A higher electric frequency can result in a faster rotation speed and more power output, while a lower frequency can lead to slower speeds and less power.

Why does a motor need an electric frequency to operate?

A motor needs an electric frequency to create a rotating magnetic field, which is essential for its operation. As the frequency changes, the direction of the magnetic field also changes, causing the motor to rotate.

What happens if the electric frequency is too high or too low for a motor?

If the electric frequency is too high, the motor may overheat and potentially damage its components. On the other hand, if the frequency is too low, the motor may not reach its optimal speed and performance.

Can the electric frequency be adjusted to control the speed of a motor?

Yes, the electric frequency can be adjusted to control the speed of a motor. By varying the frequency, the rotation speed of the motor can be increased or decreased, allowing for precise control of its speed and performance.