Relation between angular displacement and tension.

In summary, the person is working on a project to measure the tension of a timing belt using a dial gauge indicator, but is unable to find a formula that relates the displacement of the pointer to the tension. They are seeking help and suggest providing a picture of their setup for better understanding. They mention having means to measure the angle or stretch of the belt and ask if a spring scale can be used to measure force.
rambharath94
Hello guys,

Iam doing a project to find the tension of timing belt using a dial gauge indicator(consists of plunger and gear attached to it ie;rack and pinion mechanism) ,but i can't find a formula relating the displacement of the pointer and the tension (eg: 5° of dislplacement of pointer = 10 units of tension?).Please help me...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi rambharath94,

Your details are a bit short on a clear explanation of your setup. A picture might help.
As i understood thus far you wish to measure the tension in a timing belt, although you give no details of what is creating that tension (a weight or something to create torque?).
Also you have means to measure the angle or stretch of the belt via a dial gauge.

If you can measure geometrical properties, can you get your hands on a spring scale for measuring a force?

Related to Relation between angular displacement and tension.

1. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is a measure of the change in position of a rotating object. It is usually measured in radians or degrees and can be either positive or negative depending on the direction of rotation.

2. How is angular displacement related to tension?

The relationship between angular displacement and tension depends on the type of system or object being analyzed. In some systems, such as a simple pendulum, the tension in the string or rod is directly proportional to the angular displacement. In other systems, such as a rotating disk, the tension may not have a direct relationship with angular displacement.

3. Can angular displacement affect tension?

Yes, angular displacement can affect tension in certain systems. For example, in a pulley system, as the angle of rotation increases, the tension in the rope also increases. This is because the force required to rotate the pulley increases with the angle of rotation.

4. How can tension be calculated from angular displacement?

The formula for calculating tension from angular displacement varies depending on the system being analyzed. In general, tension can be calculated by using the equation T = I * α, where T is the tension, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. This equation can be modified for different systems by incorporating other variables such as angular velocity or mass.

5. What factors can affect the relationship between angular displacement and tension?

The relationship between angular displacement and tension can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the rotating object, the type of material it is made of, and the external forces acting on the object. Other factors, such as friction and air resistance, can also impact the relationship between these two variables.