Relating Surface area to volume

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of expressing the surface area of a sphere in terms of its volume, rather than its radius. The conversation mentions using derivatives, but it is noted that they are not necessary. Ultimately, the solution involves substituting the volume formula for the radius in the surface area formula. There is also a suggestion to simplify the equations by using 24/4pi instead of 6pi.
juice34
How do I express the surface area of for instance a sphere in terms of volume?

Physics news on Phys.org
juice34 said:
How do I express the surface area of for instance a sphere in terms of volume?

(question moved to homework help)

What is the context of your question. The surface area and volume of a sphere are straightforward formulas in terms of the radius. I'm guessing that there is more to your question?

I want to express the surface area of a sphere in terms of the volume and not radius.

juice34 said:
I want to express the surface area of a sphere in terms of the volume and not radius.

What are the two formulas for volume and surface area? What would be some way to do what you are asking?

V(sphere)=(4/3)*pi*R^3
S.A.(sphere)=4*pi*R^3

I am thinking i need to take derivatives, but when you do dV/dR you just get the surface area

juice34 said:
V(sphere)=(4/3)*pi*R^3
S.A.(sphere)=4*pi*R^3

I am thinking i need to take derivatives, but when you do dV/dR you just get the surface area

You meant R^2 in the area forumula.

I would think one way would be to express R as a function of volume, and then substitute that back into the area forumula for R... (or the other way around, depending on what you are wanting to do. Does that work?

Surface area is equal to [itex]4\pi r^2[/itex] and there are no need for derivatives, you have two equations, both with r in them so you want to eliminate r by substitution.

Here let's make this more complicated.
#1) V(sphere)=(4/3)*pi*(D/2)^3
#2)S.A.(sphere)=4*pi*(D/2)^3

So i solve to D using equation 1. D=(V(24/(4*pi)))^(1/3)
So can i just plug this D into #2 and wah lah?

juice34 said:
Here let's make this more complicated.

:bugeye:

Uhh yep, that's all there is to it... By the way, simplify 24/4pi, unless you like to keep things more complicated :-p

Sometimes things look more complicated than they are, haha! THANKS GUYS

Related to Relating Surface area to volume

1. How is surface area related to volume?

The surface area of an object is directly proportional to its volume. This means that as the volume of an object increases, its surface area also increases.

2. Why is it important to understand the relationship between surface area and volume?

Understanding the relationship between surface area and volume is crucial in various scientific disciplines, including biology, chemistry, and physics. It helps in determining the efficiency of heat transfer, the rate of chemical reactions, and the surface-to-volume ratio of cells and organisms.

3. How does surface area to volume ratio affect the properties of a substance?

The surface area to volume ratio affects the properties of a substance by influencing its ability to react with other substances, its rate of heat exchange, and its rate of diffusion. A higher surface area to volume ratio means that more surface area is available for these processes, leading to faster reactions and greater efficiency.

4. How do you calculate surface area and volume?

The formulas for calculating surface area and volume vary depending on the shape of the object. For example, the surface area of a cube is 6 times the length of one side squared, while the volume is the length of one side cubed. There are many online calculators and formulas available for different shapes and objects.

5. How can the relationship between surface area and volume be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of surface area to volume ratio is essential in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, chemical engineering, and biotechnology. It is used to optimize processes and design efficient systems that maximize surface area for increased productivity and efficiency. It is also crucial in understanding the functioning of living organisms and ecosystems.