Relating k-values to energy diagrams and rate-determining steps

In summary, the rate-determining step is the slowest step in a reaction and is typically determined by the step with the lowest activation energy. Even if the rate constant for a step is higher, it can still be the RDS if it has a lower activation energy.
The Head
TL;DR Summary
How a k value can be the higher of the k values, but still an Rate-Determining Step
I'm trying to understand a little bit more about how k-values relate to rate-determining steps and energy diagrams. I always assumed that the lowest value of k (in the forward direction) was the RDS saw something in a handout that indicated otherwise. It explained that even though k1 > k2, because k-1 was so low, k1 would have the highest energy transition and that k1 was the RDS. I would have thought that would only indicate that k1 was irreversible, not the RDS.

Further, it showed an energy diagram that then displayed the activation energy being higher for k2, which thoroughly confused me, because I would think the one with the greater activation energy would be the RDS.

Can someone clarify for me what is going on? I'm including the image below for clarity's sake, but really just want to learn how to think about the principles at hand, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 11.44.18 AM.png

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The key concept here is that the rate-determining step (RDS) is the slowest step in the reaction. In this case, the reaction is: A --> B --> C. The rate of the overall reaction is determined by the slowest step, and that is typically the step with the lowest activation energy (the energy difference between the transition state and the reactants). So, even though k1 > k2, if k1 has a lower activation energy than k2, then k1 will be the RDS. The energy diagram you have shown is showing the activation energies for each reaction step. As you can see, the activation energy for k1 is lower than k2, so k1 is the RDS. The fact that k1 is greater than k2 does not necessarily mean that k1 is irreversible, but it does mean that k2 is reversible. This means that k2 can proceed in either the forward or reverse direction, depending on the concentrations of the reactants and products.

1. How do k-values relate to energy diagrams?

K-values, also known as rate constants, are related to energy diagrams because they represent the rate at which a chemical reaction occurs. In an energy diagram, the activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a reaction to take place. The k-value is directly related to the activation energy, as a higher k-value indicates a lower activation energy and a faster reaction rate.

2. What is the significance of the rate-determining step in a reaction?

The rate-determining step is the slowest step in a reaction and therefore sets the overall rate of the reaction. This step typically has the highest activation energy, meaning it requires the most energy to occur. By understanding and controlling the rate-determining step, scientists can manipulate the overall rate of the reaction.

3. How can k-values be determined experimentally?

K-values can be determined experimentally by measuring the initial rate of the reaction at different concentrations of reactants. By plotting the initial rate versus concentration, a rate law can be determined, which includes the k-value as a constant. Other methods for determining k-values include temperature-dependent studies and computational simulations.

4. Can k-values change over time?

Yes, k-values can change over time due to changes in reaction conditions or the presence of catalysts. Temperature, pressure, and reactant concentrations can all affect the value of k. Additionally, the presence of a catalyst can lower the activation energy and increase the k-value, resulting in a faster reaction rate.

5. How can energy diagrams be used to predict the rate-determining step?

Energy diagrams can be used to identify the rate-determining step by looking at the step with the highest activation energy. This step will be the slowest and therefore the rate-determining step. Additionally, the energy diagram can also show the relative energies of the reactants and products, providing insight into the thermodynamics of the reaction.