Related Rates Practice Problems

In summary, this conversation covers related rates, specifically linear approximation and its relation to the previous unit. The first problem involves finding the rate at which Fabio is falling when his ladder is slipping down a building. The second problem involves finding the rate of change for the volume of a decaying nerf ball. The third and fourth problems involve finding formulas for the change in y and the differential of y, respectively. The fifth problem involves finding the rate at which the area enclosed by a circular wave is increasing. The final problem involves finding the rate of change for the electric resistance of espresso as its temperature decreases.
myanmar
this assignment is on related rates. I believe questions 3/4 are on linear approximation and relate back to the last unit.

My problem is that I am entirely unconfident on this work, and am going to be taking a test on the material soon. If someone could check my work, I'd be delighted.

Homework Assignment
1. Fabio stands atop his 16 foot ladder when he realizes that the ladder
is slipping down the side of the building. He decides that the base of
the ladder is moving away from the bottom of the building at a rate
of 2 feet per second when it is 3 feet from the bottom of the building.
How fast is Fabio falling at that instant?

To do this problem I construct a triangle. Height is H Base is L and the distance between the two is 16.
H^2 + L^2 = 256. Therefore (dh/dt)2h +(dl/dt)2l=0 At this instant, h=3, which means l = sqrt(256-9) = sqrt(247). I am going to divide both sides of my equation by 2 to obtain (dh/dt)h +(dl/dt)l = 0. plugging in gives (x)(3) +(-2)(sqrt(247))=0; x = -2/3 sqrt (247)

2. A decaying nerf ball shrinks in such a way that its radius decreases
by 1/6th inch per month. How fast is the volume changing when the
radius is one quarter of an inch?

V=(pi)(4/3)(r^3)
dv/dt = (4)(pi)(r^2)(dr/dt)=4(pi)((1/4)^2)(-1/6)

For the following two questions, suppose that y = 2x^2 − 3x + 1.
3. Find and simplify a formula for the y increment, ∆y.

∆y = f(x+ ∆x) - f(x) = 2x^2 +4x(∆x)+2(∆x)^2-3x-3(∆x)+1-2x^2+3x-1= 4x(∆x)+2(∆x)^2 -3(∆x)

4. Find a formula for the y differential dy.
dy=f'(x)dx= (4x-3)dx

5. When a stone is dropped in a pool, a circular wave moves out from
the point of impact at a rate of six inches per second. How fast is the
area enclosed by the wave increasing when the wave is two inches in
radius?

A=(pi)(r^2)
dA/dt = dr/dt (2r)(pi) = (6)(2)(2)(pi) =24(pi) in^2/sec

6. The electric resistance of espresso as a function of its temperature is
given by
R = 6.000 + 0.002T 2
where R is measured in Ohms and T in degrees Celsius. If the tem-
perature is decreasing at the rate of 0.2 degrees per second, find the
rate of change of the resistance when T = 38 ◦ C.

dR/dt = 0.004 T (dT/dt)= 0.004 x 38 x -0.2 = -.0304

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that, for the last one, you meant R= 6+ 0.002T^2, they are all correct.

Related to Related Rates Practice Problems

1. What are related rates in calculus?

Related rates in calculus refer to the study of how the rates of change of two or more related variables are connected. This involves using the chain rule and other calculus techniques to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable.

2. How do you solve related rates problems?

To solve related rates problems, you need to first identify the variables that are changing and how they are related. Then, you can use the given information and apply the chain rule to create an equation that relates the rates of change of the variables. Finally, you can solve the equation for the desired rate of change.

3. What is the importance of related rates in real life?

Related rates have many applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can help us understand how different quantities are changing and how they are related, which can then be used to make predictions and solve problems in various fields.

4. What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include drawing a diagram to help visualize the problem, clearly labeling the variables and their rates of change, and carefully applying the chain rule. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

5. What are common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems include mixing up the variables and their rates of change, using the wrong units, and not carefully applying the chain rule. It is also important to check that the final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.