Related Rates - Not getting answer in book

In summary, the problem involves finding the rate at which the distance from a plane to a radar station increases when the plane is 2 miles away from the station. The solution involves using the equation s^2 = 1 + x^2 to find the rate of change of s with respect to time, which is equal to x/s * dx/dt. The correct answer is 250√3 mi/h, not 200√5 mi/h, due to a misunderstanding of the meaning of "2 mi away from the station".
GeoMike
The problem given in my book is:

A plane flying horizontally at an altitude of 1mi and a speed of 500 mi/h passes directly over a radar station. Find the rate at which the distance from the plane to the station is increasing when it is 2mi away from the station.

I set up and solved the problem this way:
dx/dt = 500 mi/h
x = 2mi
y = 1mi (constant)

Distance:
s2 = y2 + x2

s2 = 1 + x2

s = (1 + x2)1/2

d/dt = d/dt[sqrt(1 + x2)1/2]

ds/dt = (1/2)(1 + x2)-1/2 * (2x(dx/dt))

ds/dt = (1 + x2)-1/2 * (x(dx/dt))

ds/dt = [tex]\frac{x(dx/dt)}{(1 + x^2)^{1/2}}[/tex]

Substiting:
ds/dt = [tex]\frac{(2)(500)}{(1 + (2)^2)^{1/2}}[/tex]

ds/dt = [tex]\frac{1000}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex]

The final answer:
ds/dt = [tex]200\sqrt{5}[/tex] mi/h

However the back of my book has: [tex]250\sqrt{3}[/tex] mi/h

What am I doing wrong?
Thank you,
-GM-

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
don't solve for s, just leave it at [tex]s^2=1+x^2[/tex] and differentiate implicitly to get

[tex]2s\frac{ds}{dt}=2x\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

solve for ds/dt

[tex]\frac{ds}{dt}=\frac{x}{s}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

You work was correct that far, however, since [tex]s=\sqrt{x^2+1}[/tex] anyhow. The error is the sqrt(5) should be sqrt(3): 2 mi away is straight line distance.

You have misinterpreted the meaning of "2 mi away from the station".

It is s that equals 2, not x!

Thus, you have:
[tex]2^{2}=y^{2}+x^{2}\to{x}=\sqrt{3}[/tex]

AH! Thank you!
I understand now, I was taking 2mi as horizontal distance.

Thanks!
-GM-

Related to Related Rates - Not getting answer in book

1. What is the concept of related rates?

The concept of related rates is a mathematical tool used to find the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity when the two quantities are related by an equation.

2. How do I approach related rates problems?

The key to solving related rates problems is to identify the known and unknown variables, create an equation that relates them, and then use the chain rule to differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to time.

3. Why am I not getting the correct answer in my textbook?

Solving related rates problems requires a solid understanding of calculus and the ability to apply the chain rule correctly. It is possible that you may have made a mistake in your calculations or missed a step in the problem-solving process.

4. Can you provide an example of a related rates problem?

Sure, here's an example: A ladder is leaning against a wall and sliding down at a rate of 2 feet per second. If the bottom of the ladder is initially 10 feet from the wall, how fast is the top of the ladder moving when it is 6 feet from the ground?

5. Are there any tips for solving related rates problems more efficiently?

One tip is to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and label all the known and unknown variables. Another tip is to set up a table to organize the information and equations. Additionally, practicing similar problems can help improve your problem-solving skills.