Related Rates + HOw to find a variable

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rate at which the height of a cone-shaped pile of gravel is increasing when the pile is 10 ft high. The volume of the pile is given as 30 ft^3/min and the relationship between height and radius is used to find the required answer. Additionally, there is a brief discussion about asymptotes in a given function.
madeeeeee
Gravel is being dumped from a conveyor belt at a rate of 30 ft3/min and its coarseness is such that it forms a pile in the shape of a cone whose base diameter and height are always equal. How fast is the height of the pile increasing when the pile is 10 ft high?

Known:
dV/dt=30 ft^3/min
Cone Volume= 1/3(pi)(r^2)(h)

Unkown:
dh/dt= ? when h= 10ft

I am confused about how to find the height and radius of the pile if they are equal.
height=radius

Please help me with this thank you and i am sure that i will be able to solve this problem.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the relationship between height and radius to eliminate the radius from the volume relationship. Now you can find dV/dt and the required answer.

ok thank you

Also, if i have the function y=x^3-3x^2
is my horizontal asymptote 1?

madeeeeee said:
ok thank you

Also, if i have the function y=x^3-3x^2
is my horizontal asymptote 1?
?
This function does not have a horizontal asymptote. Did you mean x-intercepts? If so, there are two: x = 0 and x = 3.

ok, so does that mean that there is also no, vertical or slant asymptote?

y = x^3 - 3x^2 doesn't have any asymptotes at all.

ok thank you

Related to Related Rates + HOw to find a variable

What is Related Rates?

Related rates is a mathematical concept that deals with the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity. It involves finding the relationship between two or more variables and determining how they are changing in relation to each other.

How do I solve a related rates problem?

To solve a related rates problem, you need to first identify the variables involved and determine the relationship between them. Then, you can use the chain rule to find the derivative of each variable with respect to time. Finally, you can substitute the given values and solve for the desired variable.

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a calculus rule that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

What are some common examples of related rates?

Some common examples of related rates include objects moving in a straight line, objects falling under the influence of gravity, and fluids flowing in and out of containers. Other examples include changes in the dimensions of geometric shapes, such as circles, spheres, and cylinders.

What are the key steps to finding a variable in a related rates problem?

The key steps to finding a variable in a related rates problem are to first identify the variables involved, determine the relationship between them, use the chain rule to find the derivative of each variable with respect to time, substitute the given values, and solve for the desired variable.