Related Rates Cell Phone Problem

In summary: So q = a/(C-b), and you can substitute that into your differential equation for C. :)In summary, the average cost per item, C, in dollars, of manufacturing a quantity q of cell phones is given by the equation C = a/q + b, where a and b are positive constants. The rate of change of C as q increases is -a/q^2. If production increases at a rate of 130 cell phones per week, the average cost is changing at a rate of -130a/q^2 + b. To find the differential equation in C, q can be substituted with a/(C-b) in the equation C = a/q + b.
alyplayford

Homework Statement

The average cost per item, C, in dollars, of manufacturing a quantity q of cell phones is given by the following equation, where a and b are positive constants.
C = a/q + b

(a) Find the rate of change of C as q increases. Include units.

I already found this, it's: -a/q^2

***(b) If production increases at a rate of 130 cell phones per week, how fast is the average cost changing? Include units.

B is the one I need help with.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far for part "b", I've figured out that dq/dt is 130, so I differentiated C = a/q + b implicitly
and got dC/dt = -a/q^2 (dq/dt) + b. I plugged in 130 for dq/dt and got

dC/dt = -130a/q^2 + b

I have no idea where to go from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi alyplayford! :smile:
alyplayford said:
The average cost per item, C, in dollars, of manufacturing a quantity q of cell phones is given by the following equation, where a and b are positive constants.
C = a/q + b

(a) Find the rate of change of C as q increases. Include units.

I already found this, it's: -a/q^2

***(b) If production increases at a rate of 130 cell phones per week, how fast is the average cost changing? Include units.

So far for part "b", I've figured out that dq/dt is 130, so I differentiated C = a/q + b implicitly
and got dC/dt = -a/q^2 (dq/dt) + b. I plugged in 130 for dq/dt and got

dC/dt = -130a/q^2 + b

No, b is constant. :wink:

Now eliminate q from the RHS to get a differential equation in C. :smile:

What is RHS? And do I need to solve for q? How do I do that?

alyplayford said:
What is RHS? And do I need to solve for q? How do I do that?

Right-hand side! :wink:

And C = a/q + b.

Related to Related Rates Cell Phone Problem

What is a related rates cell phone problem?

A related rates cell phone problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of one quantity in relation to the rate of change of another quantity. These types of problems are often used to model real-world situations, such as the rate at which a cell phone battery is draining.

How do you solve a related rates cell phone problem?

To solve a related rates cell phone problem, you must first identify the quantities that are changing and the rates at which they are changing. Then, you can use mathematical equations and the chain rule to find the relationship between these quantities and their rates of change. Finally, you can use this relationship to solve for the unknown rate of change.

What are some common examples of related rates cell phone problems?

Some common examples of related rates cell phone problems include finding the rate at which a cell phone battery is draining, the rate at which a cell phone screen is getting brighter, and the rate at which a cell phone's signal strength is changing.

What is the chain rule and how is it used in related rates cell phone problems?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule that allows us to find the derivative of a function that is composed of two or more functions. In related rates cell phone problems, the chain rule is used to find the relationship between the rates of change of different quantities.

Why are related rates cell phone problems important in science and engineering?

Related rates cell phone problems are important in science and engineering because they allow us to model and analyze real-world situations. By understanding the rates at which different quantities are changing, we can make predictions and optimize systems in fields such as physics, biology, and economics.