Related rates and cube with a sphere inside of it

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating when a cube and a sphere will be expanding at the same rate. The cube is expanding at 1 m/s while the sphere is growing at 2 m/s (assuming the radius is increasing at that rate). The formulas for volume and rate of change are clarified, with the correct formula for volume of a sphere being 4/3*pi*r^3. The relation between r and x is determined to be 8*pi*r^2 = 3x^2, but without knowing initial dimensions, the actual values of r and x cannot be determined.
chaotixmonjuish
I was pondering a question today. If you have a cube with a sphere inside of it, and the sphere is growing at 2 m/s. The cube itself is expanding at 1 m/s. If the cube is 5 x 5 x 5, and the sphere has a radius of 2. Is it possible to calculate when the sphere and the cube will be expanding at the same rate? I also assumed that eventually the sphere will overcome the cube.

V=4/3*pi*r^2
dv=4/3*pi*2r dr/dt

V=x^3
dv=3x^2

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you are interested in:
When does the volume expansion rate of the sphere equal the volume expansion rate of the cube?

Okay, let's start:

Sphere:
The radius r, as a function of time, is given by r(t)=2+2t
Thus, its volume V, as a function of time, is given by: [itex]V(t)=\frac{4\pi}{3}(2+2t)^{3}[/itex]
Cube:
The cube's side, as a function of time, is given by s(t)=5+t.

Thus, its volume v, as a function of time is [itex]v(t)=(5+t)^{3}[/itex]

We wish to find t so that:
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

This is essentially the setup.

However, with the measures you've given, even at t=0, the volumetric expansion rate of the sphere is greater than that of the cube.

chaotixmonjuish said:
I was pondering a question today. If you have a cube with a sphere inside of it, and the sphere is growing at 2 m/s. The cube itself is expanding at 1 m/s. If the cube is 5 x 5 x 5, and the sphere has a radius of 2. Is it possible to calculate when the sphere and the cube will be expanding at the same rate? I also assumed that eventually the sphere will overcome the cube.

V=4/3*pi*r^2
dv=4/3*pi*2r dr/dt

V=x^3
dv=3x^2
First clarify the problem. You say the sphere is "growing at 2 m/s". That's a "rate of change of distance". Do you mean the radius is increasing at 2 m/s? Or the diameter? You say the cube is "expanding at 1 m/s". Do you mean that the length of an edge is increasing at 1 m/s? Since you are clearly using rate of change of a length here, I am not happy with the use of the same terminology, "expanding at the same rate", to refer to (apparently) rate of increase of the volume.

Second be careful of your formulas. The volume of a sphere is given by "[ITEX](4/3)\pi r^3[/itex]", not "[itex]r^2[/itex]". For the sphere, [itex]dV/dt= 4\pi r^2 dr/dt[/itex] not what you have. Assuming that "growing at 2 m/s" means the radius is increasing at that rate, you know that dr/dt= 2 (If it is diameter that is increasing at that rate, then dD/dt= 2 dr/dt= 2 so dr/dt= 1). For the cube, yes, V= x2 so dV/dx= 3x2 dx/dt and, assuming that "expanding at 1 m/s" means the edge length is changing at that rate, dx/dt= 1. The "cube and sphere will be increasing at the same rate" when those are the same: [itex]4\pi r^2 dr/dt= 3x^2 dx/dt[/itex] which, assuming what I said above, is [itex]8\pi r^2= 3x^2[/itex]. that gives you a relation between r and x. You didn't say anything about how large the cube and sphere are initially so I don't know what actual values x and r might have.

Well let's go with the radius is expanding at 2 m/s.

I do give the original dimensions of the cube and the sphere (well I just gave the r as 2).

Again, what is the formula for volume of a sphere?

Related to Related rates and cube with a sphere inside of it

1. What is the concept of related rates?

The concept of related rates involves calculating the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another related quantity. This is commonly used in mathematical problems that involve multiple changing variables.

2. How is related rates applied to a cube with a sphere inside of it?

In this scenario, the sides of the cube and the radius of the sphere are changing, but they are related by the fact that the sphere is inscribed within the cube. By using the Pythagorean theorem and the formula for the volume of a sphere, we can set up an equation that relates the rates of change of these two variables.

3. What is the equation for related rates in this situation?

The equation for related rates in this situation is 3x^2(dx/dt) + 6x(dx/dt) = 4(pi)r^2(dr/dt), where x represents the length of the cube's sides, r represents the radius of the sphere, and t represents time.

4. Can you provide an example of a related rates problem involving a cube with a sphere inside of it?

Sure, for example, if the cube is initially 10 cm on each side and the sphere has a radius of 5 cm, and both are increasing at a rate of 2 cm/s, what is the rate of change of the cube's volume when the length of its sides is 15 cm?

Using the equation from question 3, we can plug in the given values to get 3(10)^2(2) + 6(10)(2) = 4(pi)(5)^2(dr/dt). Solving for dr/dt, we get a rate of change of approximately 0.24 cm/s.

5. What are some real-world applications of related rates and a cube with a sphere inside of it?

Related rates can be used to solve problems in fields such as physics and engineering, where multiple variables are changing at once. For example, calculating the rate of change of the volume of a water tank with a spherical ball inside as the water level changes. In this case, the sphere represents an obstacle that affects the changing volume of the water tank.