Related Rates air in a balloon

In summary, the surface area of a sphere with a radius of 5 cm3 is increasing at a rate of 8796.459 cm2/s.
AmiraM

Homework Statement

Air is being pumped into a spherical balloon so that its volume increases at a rate of 70 cm3/s. How fast is the surface area of the balloon increasing when its radius is 5 cm3?

Homework Equations

A ball with radius r has the following volume (V) and surface area (S):
V = (4/3)(πr3)
S = 4πr2

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem seems to be asking for dS/dt at r = 5. dV/dt appears to be equivalent to S.

dS/dt = (d/dt)(4πr2)
dS/dt = 8πr(dV/dt) <--- This step is the one that's really bugging me, especially that dV/dt tagged onto the end.
dS/dt = 8π5(70)
dS/dt = 2800π
dS/dt = 8796.459

Which is apparently incorrect. I'm having a lot of trouble grasping these and other related rate problems, mainly because I am not sure how to properly set up the equations and every tutorial I've found on the subject (including my textbook) simply breeze over that step by saying "Find an equation that describes the given relationship."

Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, firstly, what you'll want to do is find S as a function of V. This can be done by solving your function V = 4 pi r^3 / 3 for r, and then plugging that into the r in your function for S.

So basically, solve your volume function for r, and then plug that into the r in your surface area function.

Thanks!

Alright, so I tried what you said and came out with:

S = 4π(sqrt3(3v/4π))2

Taking the derivatives using the chain rule leaves me with:

dS/dt = 8π(3v'/4π)1/3(3v'/4π)-2/3, or
dS/dt = 8(3v'/4)-1/3

When I plug v' = 70 into the equation, it returns 2.137, which is unfortunately also incorrect. I can show my deriving process step-by-step if it helps anyone spot where I'm making my error.

AmiraM said:
Thanks!

Alright, so I tried what you said and came out with:

S = 4π(sqrt3(3v/4π))2

Taking the derivatives using the chain rule leaves me with:

dS/dt = 8π(3v'/4π)1/3(3v'/4π)-2/3, or
dS/dt = 8(3v'/4)-1/3

When I plug v' = 70 into the equation, it returns 2.137, which is unfortunately also incorrect. I can show my deriving process step-by-step if it helps anyone spot where I'm making my error.

You did something wrong here. Taking the derivative with the chain rule should yield a (-1/3) term and then v' on the outside.

You are applying the chain rule incorrectly. [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dt}{dx}[/tex]

Yes, there was definitely something wrong with the way I derived. I tried deriving it again, step-by-step this time, and ended up with the correct answer. Thanks so much guys, you were really helpful :)

Related to Related Rates air in a balloon

What is the concept of related rates in relation to air in a balloon?

Related rates refer to the mathematical concept of how two or more variables change in relation to each other. In the case of air in a balloon, this would involve the rate at which the volume of air inside the balloon changes as the balloon expands or contracts.

How does the volume of air in a balloon change over time?

The volume of air in a balloon changes over time due to a variety of factors, such as changes in temperature, changes in atmospheric pressure, and the stretching or deflating of the balloon itself. These changes can be described and predicted using related rates equations.

What are the key equations used to calculate related rates for air in a balloon?

The key equations used to calculate related rates for air in a balloon include Boyle's Law, which describes the relationship between pressure and volume, and the Ideal Gas Law, which describes the relationship between temperature, pressure, and volume. Other equations, such as the law of conservation of mass, may also be used depending on the specific scenario.

What information is needed to solve related rates problems involving air in a balloon?

To solve related rates problems involving air in a balloon, you will typically need to know the initial volume of air inside the balloon, the rate of change of one or more variables (such as temperature or pressure), and the values of any other relevant variables. It is important to carefully identify and organize all given information before attempting to solve the problem.

What are some real-world applications of related rates involving air in a balloon?

Related rates involving air in a balloon can have many real-world applications, such as predicting the rate of inflation or deflation of weather balloons, calculating the pressure inside a balloon at different altitudes, or determining the optimal temperature for a hot air balloon to maintain a certain volume. These concepts are also commonly used in fields like meteorology, aeronautics, and engineering.