Related Rate Bungee Problem Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a bungee jumper's plunge and how to calculate the rate of change of the angle of elevation from a specific observation point. The equation for this question is sinΘ=y/100, but the question arises of why the hypotenuse of 100 feet is used when it is changing. The correct equation to use is y = h\sin{\theta} = \sqrt{y^2 + 60^2}\ \sin\theta, which takes into account the variable nature of the hypotenuse as the jumper falls.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

A bungee jumper has reached a point in her exciting plunge where the taut cord is 100 feet long with a 1/2 inch radius and stretching. She is still 80 feet above the ground and is now falling at 40 feet per second. You are observing her jump from a spot on the ground 60 feet from the potential point of impact.

- From your observation point, at what rate is the angle of elevation to the jumper changing?

So, without a diagram, x=60, y= 80 and you have to solve for dΘ/dt. So the hypotenuse value would be 100 at this moment.

My Question: I understand mostly the implicit differentiation, but Why when I solve for dΘ/dt, i need to use the 100 feet for hypotenuse? Isn't the hypotenuse changing?

The Attempt at a Solution

My equation for this question is sinΘ=y/100 . But why do I use 100 if it is changing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't use the 100 for the equation. You have x = 60 (constant), y is variable, and the hypotenuse h = sqrt(y2+ 602). So as y varies, h varies as you have observed. So your equation that you differentiate with respect to time should be:

[tex]y = h\sin{\theta} = \sqrt{y^2 + 60^2}\ \sin\theta[/tex]

Differentiate that for the related rate equation and put your "snapshot values" in the resulting related rates equation.

Related to Related Rate Bungee Problem Question

1. What is a "Related Rate Bungee Problem"?

A "Related Rate Bungee Problem" is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the rate at which an object, typically a bungee jumper, is accelerating in relation to other variables, such as the length of the bungee cord or the height of the jump.

2. How do you set up and solve a "Related Rate Bungee Problem"?

To set up and solve a "Related Rate Bungee Problem," you first need to identify all the relevant variables, such as the length of the bungee cord, the weight of the jumper, and the acceleration due to gravity. Then, you can use the chain rule to create a related rate equation and solve for the desired rate.

3. Can you give an example of a "Related Rate Bungee Problem"?

Sure, an example of a "Related Rate Bungee Problem" could be: A 60 kg bungee jumper jumps from a bridge with a bungee cord that is 30 meters long. The jumper falls for 3 seconds before the cord starts to stretch. How quickly is the jumper accelerating after 5 seconds?

4. What are some real-life applications of "Related Rate Bungee Problems"?

"Related Rate Bungee Problems" have many real-life applications, such as predicting the acceleration of a bungee jumper during a jump, determining the optimal length of a bungee cord for a certain jump height, and calculating the forces acting on the bungee cord and jumper during a jump.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving "Related Rate Bungee Problems"?

Some common mistakes when solving "Related Rate Bungee Problems" include forgetting to use the chain rule, not identifying all the relevant variables, and not converting units properly. Another common mistake is not setting up the related rate equation correctly, which can lead to incorrect solutions.