Relate wavelength and energy scale

In summary: Yes, you should integrate over this range.What does this equation tell you about the intensity?The intensity between two specific frequencies is given by I(λ, ν) = I_{0}\int_{\lambda }^{\lambda +\delta \lambda }\lambda' d\lambda = \lambda +\delta \lambda -\lambda * f(\lambda') = I_{0} \delta \lambda \lambda^3.
senobim

Homework Statement

Light intensity is measured by monochromator and is given by [tex]I(\lambda ) = I_{0}\lambda ^{3}[/tex] How to change it to the energy scale [tex]I(h\nu ) = ?[/tex]

Homework Equations

Photons energy [tex]E = h\nu, E =\frac{hc}{\lambda } [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It's kind of strange to relate energy with wavelenght

Physics news on Phys.org
How much power is there between the frequencies v and v+##\delta##v? What happens if you let ##\delta##v go to zero?

Power could be calculated from intensity and area P = I * A.
and It could be related in terms of photon energy P = N * E --> P = N * hv
N - number of photons

Last edited:
Yes, but that is not the point. Can you calculate it with the given intensity profile? Approximations for small ##\delta##v are fine.

can't think of anything how to do that..

any hints? ;]

Last edited:
How much intensity is there between two wavelengths ##\lambda## and ##\lambda + \delta \lambda##? How is that related to my previous question?

[tex]I = I_{0}(\lambda + (\lambda + \delta \lambda ))^{3}[/tex]

and [tex] \nu = \frac{c}{\lambda } [/tex]

Last edited:
senobim said:
[tex]I = I_{0}(\lambda + (\lambda + \delta \lambda ))^{3}[/tex]
That is not right.
and [tex] \nu = \frac{c}{\lambda } [/tex]
You'll need that formula once you found the intensity in the wavelength range.

Likes senobim
emm.. Intensity at some wavelenght is defind by [tex]I(\lambda)=I_{0}\lambda^{3}[/tex]

at some different lamda [tex]I(\lambda_{2})=I_{0}(\lambda_{2})^{3}[/tex]

where am I going wrong?

Right, and how is this related to what you wrote in #7?

Can you draw a sketch, ##I(\lambda)##? How would you get the integrated intensity between ##\lambda## and ##\lambda + \delta \lambda##? How can you approximate this for very small intervals of ##\lambda##?

you mean something like this? [tex]I = I_{0}\int \lambda ^{3}d\lambda[/tex]

Yes.

There are two approaches: keep the integrals everywhere, or go via the integrands. The former is easier if you know how to do substitutions in integrals, otherwise the latter is easier.

so my answer is [tex]I=I_{0}\int \lambda ^{3}d\lambda =I_{o}\frac{\lambda ^{4}}{4}[/tex]

and [tex]I(h\nu )=I_{o}\frac{h}{4}\left ( \frac{c}{\nu } \right )^4[/tex]

am I right?

No, that does not work.

The second "=" in the first line is wrong, and the transition between the first line and the second line does not make sense.

What is ##\lambda## at the very right of the first line? Which wavelength is that?

i seems that i don't get the concept at all..

I just integrated the expression, what could be wrong by that

P.S. Thanks for your patiece

senobim said:
I just integrated the expression, what could be wrong by that
Okay, let me ask differently: what did you use as range for the integral, and why?

Likes senobim
I did indefinte integral and that's not the case here, maybe i should try something like this
[tex]I = I_{0}\int_{\lambda }^{\lambda +\delta \lambda }\lambda ^{3}d\lambda[/tex]

That's what I suggested in post #6.

The integrand should use a different symbol (like ##\lambda'##) to avoid mixing two different things.

Likes senobim
good, so now we have this [tex]I = I_{0}\int_{\lambda }^{\lambda +\delta \lambda }\lambda'd\lambda = I_{0}\frac{\lambda'^4}{4}|_{\lambda}^{\lambda + \delta \lambda} = I_{0}(\frac{(\lambda +\delta \lambda)^4 }{4} - \frac{\lambda^4}{4})[/tex]

and how to relate this with energy?

You can find an approximation of this for small ##\delta \lambda##. What is the approximate value of an integral if the function is (roughly) constant over the integration range?

This is also the integrated intensity between two specific frequencies, which you can get with the formula relating wavelengths and frequencies.

Likes senobim
Could I let [tex]\delta\lambda \rightarrow 0[/tex]?

Well, if you set it exactly to zero then the integrated intensity is zero, so you want to keep the first order in ##\delta \lambda##.

still struggling on the approximation, what do you mean by that? Do i need to use trapezoidal rule for the definite integral approximation? Or something else?

Even easier. Approximate it as rectangle.

In order to perform approximation how do I find y-cordinate for this function?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
What do you expect ##I(\lambda)## to be?

I(λ) = I0λ3

[tex]I=I_{0}\int_{\lambda }^{\lambda +\delta \lambda }\lambda' d\lambda = \lambda +\delta \lambda -\lambda * f(\lambda') = I_{0} \delta \lambda \lambda^3[/tex]

does that make any sense?

That is the intensity between ##\lambda## and ##\lambda + \delta \lambda## right (not exactly, but we let ##\delta \lambda## go to zero later so that approximation works).

Now you have to find the frequencies that correspond to ##\lambda## and ##\lambda + \delta \lambda##.

Likes senobim
λ=c/ν

[tex]I=I_{0}\int_{\nu }^{\nu +\delta \nu }\left ( \frac{c}{\nu } \right )^3d\nu \approx I_{0}\delta \nu \left ( \frac{c}{\nu } \right )^3[/tex]

##\delta \lambda## and ##\delta \nu## are different things, you cannot simply replace them.

of course.

λ = c/ν, ν=c/λ --> do I nead to integrate over this range this time? c/λ and c/λ + c/δλ

senobim said:
c/λ and c/λ + c/δλ
a/(b+c) and a/b + a/c are not the same.

c/λ and c/λ + δ(c/λ)?

<h2>What is the relationship between wavelength and energy?</h2><p>Wavelength and energy are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as wavelength increases, energy decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation E = hc/λ, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is wavelength.</p><h2>How does the energy scale relate to the electromagnetic spectrum?</h2><p>The energy scale is used to measure the energy of electromagnetic radiation, which includes all forms of light. The electromagnetic spectrum is a range of all possible energies of electromagnetic radiation. The higher the energy of the radiation, the shorter the wavelength and the lower the energy, the longer the wavelength.</p><h2>What is the significance of the energy scale in scientific research?</h2><p>The energy scale is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to understand and study the properties and behavior of electromagnetic radiation. It also helps in identifying the different types of radiation and their effects on matter.</p><h2>How is the energy scale used in spectroscopy?</h2><p>In spectroscopy, the energy scale is used to measure the energy levels of atoms and molecules. By analyzing the absorption or emission of electromagnetic radiation at different wavelengths, scientists can determine the energy levels and structural properties of the atoms or molecules being studied.</p><h2>Can the energy scale be used to compare different types of radiation?</h2><p>Yes, the energy scale can be used to compare different types of radiation, as it provides a standardized unit of measurement for energy. This allows scientists to compare the properties and effects of different types of radiation, such as visible light, radio waves, and X-rays.</p>

Related to Relate wavelength and energy scale

What is the relationship between wavelength and energy?

Wavelength and energy are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as wavelength increases, energy decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation E = hc/λ, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is wavelength.

How does the energy scale relate to the electromagnetic spectrum?

The energy scale is used to measure the energy of electromagnetic radiation, which includes all forms of light. The electromagnetic spectrum is a range of all possible energies of electromagnetic radiation. The higher the energy of the radiation, the shorter the wavelength and the lower the energy, the longer the wavelength.

What is the significance of the energy scale in scientific research?

The energy scale is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to understand and study the properties and behavior of electromagnetic radiation. It also helps in identifying the different types of radiation and their effects on matter.

How is the energy scale used in spectroscopy?

In spectroscopy, the energy scale is used to measure the energy levels of atoms and molecules. By analyzing the absorption or emission of electromagnetic radiation at different wavelengths, scientists can determine the energy levels and structural properties of the atoms or molecules being studied.

Can the energy scale be used to compare different types of radiation?

Yes, the energy scale can be used to compare different types of radiation, as it provides a standardized unit of measurement for energy. This allows scientists to compare the properties and effects of different types of radiation, such as visible light, radio waves, and X-rays.