Regular Derivative and A Partial Derivative

In summary, the main difference between a regular derivative and a partial derivative is that a partial derivative is taken with respect to only one variable while holding the other variables constant. This can be seen by the fact that the partial derivative of a function with respect to a certain variable can be interpreted as the ordinary derivative of a related function with respect to the same variable.
bmed90
Can someone please explain to me the difference between a regular derivative and a partial derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you try to define each of the two, you will see the difference. Let us know otherwise.

If you take both derivatives on a single variable function, they will be the same. What's the definition of the "regular" derivate of a several variables function? Check this

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=277979

I didn't mean too be soo abrupt; it is just difficult to answer these questions without more context. If you would tell us some more of what is on your mind?

Suppose that [itex]f:\mathbb R^2\rightarrow\mathbb R[/itex]. The partial derivative of f with respect to the ith variable is a function from [itex]\mathbb R^2\rightarrow\mathbb R[/itex]. I like to denote it by [itex]D_i f[/itex] or [itex]f_{,i}[/itex]. So I would denote the value at (x,y) of the ith partial derivative of f by [itex]D_i f(x,y)[/itex] or [itex]f_{,i}(x,y)[/itex]. I'll stick to the D notation in this post.

For all values of x and y, [itex]D_1 f(x,y)[/itex] is the value at x, of the derivative of the function [itex]t\mapsto D_1 f(t,y)[/itex]. (Note that this is a function from [itex]\mathbb R\rightarrow\mathbb R[/itex]). In other words, you can define [itex]g:\mathbb R\rightarrow\mathbb R[/itex] by g(t)=f(t,y), and find [itex]D_1 f(x,y)[/itex] by calculating [itex]g'(x)[/itex], because [itex]g'(x)=D_1 f(x,y)[/itex]. We can obviously make a similar comment about partial derivatives with respect to the second variable. So every calculation of the value of a partial derivative at a point in its domain is a calculation of the value of an ordinary derivative at a point in its domain. This is a fact that I don't think is emphasized often enough.

Example: If you're asked to compute the partial derivative of xy2 with respect to x, it can be interpreted as: Let f be the function defined by f(t)=ty2 for all t. Find f'(x) (i.e. the derivative of f, evaluated at x). If you're asked to compute the partial derivative of xy2 with respect to y, it can be interpreted as: Let g be the function defined by g(t)=xt2 for all t. Find g'(y) (i.e. the derivative of g, evaluated at y).

[tex]\begin{align}&\frac{\partial}{\partial x}xy^2=(t\mapsto ty^2)'(x)\\ &\frac{\partial}{\partial y}xy^2=(t\mapsto xt^2)'(y)\end{align}[/tex]
There is really no difference between the expressions [tex]\frac{d}{d x}xy^2[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}xy^2[/tex] for example. The latter is defined to mean [tex]D_1\big((s,t)\mapsto st^2\big)(x,y),[/tex] but this is (by definition of [itex]D_1[/itex]) equal to [tex](s\mapsto sy^2)'(x),[/tex] which is what the former is defined to mean.

So one valid way of thinking of expressions of the form [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\big(\text{Something that involves x and at least one more variable}\big)[/tex] is that the partial derivative notation is just telling you which function from [itex]\mathbb R[/itex] into [itex]\mathbb R[/itex] to take an ordinary derivative of, and at what point in the domain to evaluate that derivative.

Related to Regular Derivative and A Partial Derivative

What is a regular derivative?

A regular derivative is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of a single variable with respect to another variable. It is commonly used in calculus to find the slope of a curve or the rate of change of a function.

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is commonly used in multivariable calculus to find the slope of a surface or the rate of change of a function in multiple directions.

What is the difference between a regular derivative and a partial derivative?

The main difference between a regular derivative and a partial derivative is the number of variables involved. A regular derivative deals with the rate of change of a single variable, while a partial derivative deals with the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, holding all others constant.

How are regular derivatives and partial derivatives calculated?

Both regular derivatives and partial derivatives are calculated using the rules of calculus, including the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. However, partial derivatives also involve the use of the partial derivative symbol (∂) to indicate which variable is being held constant.

What are the practical applications of regular derivatives and partial derivatives?

Regular derivatives and partial derivatives have numerous practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and statistics. They are used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as rates of change, optimization problems, and sensitivity analysis.