Regression Analysis for Manuscript Correction Costs | Homework Help Needed

• Thread starter madameclaws
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Regression
In summary, the estimated slope for correcting typographical errors is different from the 'standard' slope, but this could be largely due to chance.
madameclaws

Homework Statement

Okay, so the problem I have goes like this:

Shown below are the number of galleys for a manuscript (X) and the total dollar cost of correcting typographical errors (Y) in a random sample of recent orders handled by a rime specializing in technical manuscripts. Since Y involves variable costs only, an analyst wished to determine whether regression through the origin model is appropriate for studying the relation between the two variables.

Here is the data:

Y X
128.0 7.0
213.0 12.0
191.0 10.0
178.0 10.0
250.0 14.0
446.0 25.0
540.0 30.0
457.0 25.0
324.0 18.0
177.0 10.0
75.0 4.0
107.0 6.0

Homework Equations

The first part of the problem is to fit a regression model through the origin and state the estimated equation.
I used R and I got this as my equation:
a. Ŷ=18.02830X

The part that I am stuck on is part c and d of this problem which goes:

c. In estimating costs of handling prospective orders, management has used a standard of $17.50 per galley for the cost of correcting typographical errors. Test whether or not this standard should be revised; use alpha=.02. State the alternatives, decision rule, and conclusion.

d. Obtain a prediction interval for the correction cost on a forthcoming job involving 10 galleys. Use a confidence coefficient of 98%.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really stuck on this and I don't know where to begin.
Do I just plug in the $17.50 into my estimated equation and figure it out from there?
Neither the book or the notes that my professor has given are proving to be very useful in understanding what this problem is looking for and how to figure this out.
I really don't want this to be deleted because of my lack of attempt, but I am truly stuck as to what this problem is asking for and how to obtain a solution.

Could someone please help me with this?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
madameclaws said:

Homework Statement

Okay, so the problem I have goes like this:

Shown below are the number of galleys for a manuscript (X) and the total dollar cost of correcting typographical errors (Y) in a random sample of recent orders handled by a rime specializing in technical manuscripts. Since Y involves variable costs only, an analyst wished to determine whether regression through the origin model is appropriate for studying the relation between the two variables.

Here is the data:

Y X
128.0 7.0
213.0 12.0
191.0 10.0
178.0 10.0
250.0 14.0
446.0 25.0
540.0 30.0
457.0 25.0
324.0 18.0
177.0 10.0
75.0 4.0
107.0 6.0

Homework Equations

The first part of the problem is to fit a regression model through the origin and state the estimated equation.
I used R and I got this as my equation:
a. Ŷ=18.02830X

The part that I am stuck on is part c and d of this problem which goes:

c. In estimating costs of handling prospective orders, management has used a standard of $17.50 per galley for the cost of correcting typographical errors. Test whether or not this standard should be revised; use alpha=.02. State the alternatives, decision rule, and conclusion.

d. Obtain a prediction interval for the correction cost on a forthcoming job involving 10 galleys. Use a confidence coefficient of 98%.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really stuck on this and I don't know where to begin.
Do I just plug in the $17.50 into my estimated equation and figure it out from there?
Neither the book or the notes that my professor has given are proving to be very useful in understanding what this problem is looking for and how to figure this out.
I really don't want this to be deleted because of my lack of attempt, but I am truly stuck as to what this problem is asking for and how to obtain a solution.

Could someone please help me with this?

Thank you!

Your estimated slope (= 18.02830) is different from the 'standard' slope (= 17.5). However, the difference could be largely due to random errors, and you want to assess whether or not that is the case. In other words, is the difference you are seeing (between 17.5 and 18.0) 'real', or is is it just due to chance?

Of course, you can never be 100% sure, but the question is asking whether you can be 98% sure. There are standard formulas for confidence intervals in regression that allow you to work this out. (However, most of them involve a model with an intercept as well as a slope, so you may need to look at slightly different formulas, or else follow the method in the book or notes and derive the appropriate results for yourself.)

So in other words, I am testing:
Ho: β1=17.50
Ha: β1≠17.50

?

Here are my numbers from my confidence interval:

From R: MSE=.9077103, s2{b1}= 3.104238e-05, s{b1}= 0.005571569
Confidence interval: b1±t(1-α/2,n-1) s{b1}
18.02830±t(1-.02/2,12-1)(0.005571569)
=18.02830±(2.718)(0.005571569)
(18.01316, 18.04344)

Could someone check to see if this is correct?

Thanks!

Related to Regression Analysis for Manuscript Correction Costs | Homework Help Needed

What is regression analysis?

Regression analysis is a statistical method used to examine the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. It helps identify the strength and direction of the relationship between the variables and can be used to make predictions about future outcomes.

What are the types of regression analysis?

There are several types of regression analysis, including linear regression, logistic regression, polynomial regression, and multiple regression. Each type is used to analyze different types of data and relationships between variables.

What are the assumptions of regression analysis?

The main assumptions of regression analysis are linearity, normality, homoscedasticity, and independence. Linearity assumes that the relationship between the variables is linear, while normality assumes that the data follows a normal distribution. Homoscedasticity assumes that the variance of the data is consistent across all values. Independence assumes that the observations are independent of each other.

How do you interpret the results of regression analysis?

The results of regression analysis are typically interpreted by analyzing the coefficients, p-values, and R-squared value. The coefficients represent the relationship between the variables, the p-values indicate the significance of the relationship, and the R-squared value represents the proportion of variability in the dependent variable that can be explained by the independent variables.

What are some common challenges in regression analysis?

Some common challenges in regression analysis include multicollinearity, heteroscedasticity, and outliers. Multicollinearity occurs when the independent variables are highly correlated, which can affect the accuracy of the results. Heteroscedasticity refers to unequal variances in the data, which can also affect the accuracy of the results. Outliers are data points that are significantly different from the rest of the data and can also affect the results of regression analysis.

Back