Regarding logarithmic differentiation

In summary, logarithmic differentiation involves taking natural logarithms of both sides of an equation and using the Laws of Logarithms to simplify. Then, implicit differentiation is used to solve for y'. While an alternative method of using exponents can be used, it is not as effective in simplifying the equation.
Permanence
Thank you for viewing my thread. I have been given the following steps for logarithmic differentiation:
1. Take natural logarithms of both sides of an equation y = f(x) and use the Laws of Logarithms to simplify.
2. Differentiate implicitly with respect to x.
3. Solve the resulting equation for y'.

I was wondering if I could go about this in another way.
1. Take natural logarithms of both sides of an equation y = f(x) and use the Laws of Logarithms to simplify.
2. At this point I would have something like:
ln(y) = a+b+c
Instead of doing implicit differentiation , could I do this:
e^[ln(y)] = e^(a+b+c)
y = e^(a+b+c)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with this is that ##e^{a+b+c}## is just equal to ##f(x)##. The laws of logarithms that you use to simplify ##\ln f(x)## don't make ##f(x)## any simpler than using the rules for simplifying exponents and products. The reason to take the log is to make differentiating things like ##(x+2)^x## a bit simpler, since it is easier to differentiate ##x \ln (x+2)##.

fzero said:
The problem with this is that ##e^{a+b+c}## is just equal to ##f(x)##. The laws of logarithms that you use to simplify ##\ln f(x)## don't make ##f(x)## any simpler than using the rules for simplifying exponents and products. The reason to take the log is to make differentiating things like ##(x+2)^x## a bit simpler, since it is easier to differentiate ##x \ln (x+2)##.

Yeah I get what you're saying now. I completely forgot a step lol. For some reason the first time I looked at it I forgot that I was doing differentiation. In my mind I had it as:
y' = e^(a+b+c)

Thank you!

Related to Regarding logarithmic differentiation

1. What is logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is a technique used to differentiate functions that involve logarithmic terms. It involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of an equation and then using the properties of logarithms to simplify the expression before differentiating.

2. When is logarithmic differentiation used?

Logarithmic differentiation is typically used when differentiating functions that involve products, quotients, or powers of differentiable functions. It can also be helpful when dealing with complex or nested functions.

3. How is logarithmic differentiation performed?

To perform logarithmic differentiation, you first take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation. Then, you use the properties of logarithms to simplify the expression. Finally, you differentiate both sides with respect to the variable of interest.

4. What are the benefits of using logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation can make it easier to differentiate complicated functions, especially those involving products, quotients, or powers. It can also help to avoid the use of more complex differentiation rules such as the product rule or quotient rule.

5. Are there any limitations to using logarithmic differentiation?

While logarithmic differentiation can be a useful technique, it is not always the most efficient or appropriate method for differentiating a function. It may not work for functions that do not involve logarithms or for functions that have multiple variables. In these cases, other differentiation techniques may be more suitable.